XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel problems

Old 11-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation fuel problems

my right fuel tank keeps pumping gas into my left fuel tank causing the left to overflow i think it is the fuel switch but im unsure

Old 11-26-2017, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

This involves that nomenclature thing.

1. The device on e dash is n electric switch. It has two functions. Read the fuel level in each tank. Change the feed from one tank to the other by activating a valve.

2. The valve in the boot. Solenoid operated. Signaled from the switch on the dash.

In this case, I'd suspect #2. Drawing from one tank, but returning to to the other.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
UrbanLegend (11-29-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Carl is on the right track

This might help as well

Fuel Tank Switchover Checklist, Series III XJ6

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
UrbanLegend (11-29-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Exclamation fuel and dash problems

Originally Posted by UrbanLegend
my right fuel tank keeps pumping gas into my left fuel tank causing the left to overflow i think it is the fuel switch but im unsure
i also forgot to say that i still need to replace the switch and remove the dash around it

Old 01-13-2018, 02:26 AM
Default similar problem in my '83 XJ6

Hello everyone. Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've been doing a bit of research in these forums and am having a similar problem as the OP.

I bought the car ('83 XJ6) about 18 months ago from a friend of the original owner after the original owner passed away. The left tank originally had a leak from the left fuel tank drain gasket, so the owner didn't put fuel in that side. I fixed that gasket and started putting fuel in that tank. Both tanks functioned properly for a few months and then it started doing this faulty transfer problem I'm currently experiencing.

Details: When my fuel tank switch is on the left tank, fuel is drawn and returned to the left tank as normal. When I put the switch to the right tank, fuel is drawn from the left tank and then returned to the right tank causing the left tank to empty and the right tank to overfill. I've already replaced the changeover valve in the boot and both return valves in the wheel arches. I've also read the voltage at the respective valves and it seems to be receiving appropriate power (or not power) based on switch position. Does anyone have any ideas on other troubleshooting items I could try or other things to look into? Is it possible to have a blocked fuel line somewhere causing fuel to not be drawn correctly? Could a logged fuel filter cause issues like this? I appreciate any help anyone can provide!