Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Fuel pump issue (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/fuel-pump-issue-10705/)

phoenix02 01-27-2009 05:47 PM

Fuel pump issue

Hello,

I'm trying to get my new girl started- '73 XJ6- but the fuel pumps don't want to love me. I've tried bypassing everything and running a wire direct from the battery to the pumps. On the right pump, I hear a click, on the left, nothing. I'm guessing they're dead... :( Going back into the cabin, I pulled the lines off the switch and connected them each with a test light- lights up on the right side, nothing on the left. Any ideas?

I've also tried bypassing the switch and jumpering the tank level sends direct to the gauge- nothing there, either. No voltage on my test light.

The warning flashers will light up on the dash, but not the flashers themselves on the body. Side marker lights work okay. Turn signal switch is doing nothing...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

phoenix02 01-27-2009 07:55 PM

RE: Fuel pump issue

I just got a facet electric fuel pump on the 'bay to get her up and running until I can get new pumps.

My concern is that this car seems to have a lot of electrical problems... more than my old Jag had. I'm starting to see why Lucas is the devil now... If I had the cash, I'd be tempted to rewire the whole car with a Painless kit.

BTW- Is there any negative to pulling the air pump and the rest of the smog related parts off? I didn't think they'd be on a '73...

-Michael

Doug 01-27-2009 09:59 PM

Idon't have any Ser I wiring diagrams so I'm no help.

SAve yourself a load of money and time: Don't replace any wiring until you removed/checked/cleaned connectors and fuses. There is nothing wrong with Lucas wiring. Its the Lucas connectors that cause most problems. And corroded grounds.

Cheers
DD

ken@britishparts.com 01-28-2009 09:02 AM

Check the points in the fuel pump. Clean the contacts and see where that gets you.

phoenix02 01-28-2009 07:53 PM

No go on the contacts... I pulled the right pump- the one that had a clicking sound when power was applied and disconnected- and cleaned the contacts. Put it back together, connected it directly to a battery with jumper cables- same thing. There's a slight click when it gets power and loses power- sounds like the stator is creating the field, but the armature isn't moving at all. I guess they need a full rebuild. I'll run with the cheapie universal until I can get around to it, unless anyone else has an idea.

-Michael

ken@britishparts.com 01-29-2009 09:39 AM

I have the original SU pumps for $160.21.

davidboger 01-29-2009 02:26 PM

SNG Barrett also has great deals on original pumps .......
http://tinyurl.com/bvpa7g

No affilation, just trying to help a fellow Jag-Lover out.

David

ken@britishparts.com 01-29-2009 03:10 PM

David,

No need to do the "no affilation" thing. One nice thing about this site is that it's ok to help your fellow drivers out. That is a hell of a price. Jump on it. You won't do any better.

davidboger 01-29-2009 05:38 PM

I'm on a number of forums that discourage advertising on the site. It's a habit to add that. Plus, if admin thought that I was a part of Barratt, I could loose my posting privlidges:

"Selling or solicitation of ANYTHING in the general forum, by Private Message or in Chat is considered Spam and is not allowed.
"Anyone suspected of "sneaky" advertising will be warned and will possibly lose their posting privileges"

Plus, if someone read the post and tried to do business with SNG Barratt and had a bad experience, they may think that I was a representative of the company because of the referral. I wouldn't want that to come back on my business.

David

Jose 01-30-2009 04:01 AM

those are the same pumps as in my '65 S type, the great-grandfather of the XJ,and they have been very reliable in my experience. Even after the car sat for 1 year without any exercise. But those are not the submersible in-tank pumps.

ken@britishparts.com 01-30-2009 10:11 AM

David,

Understandable. Motorcars, the place I'm with, did step up and sponser. The admin is lax on referrals, etc. They do watch someone that just posts things for sale. It's really kind of cool of them. People can help one another and that is the function of these forums.

I can understand the other side of the arguement. I'm sure if this turned into nothing but companies posting sales and stuff, the rules would tighten. For the last couple of years, it's all been good. And the folks who do have goods for sale, also help quite a bit even if they do not offer what will fix the car. Ohio Tech is always a big help and very knowledgeable. I believe he is British Auto Works. May have that wrong. We have Brutal, who's tech at a dealership. And, we all get along. So don't be shy if you find a good deal somewhere.

I figure it makes my business better. You found those pumps for sale less than I pay for them. Thanks to you, I've already passed this along to purchasing so we can get in line with the market.

davidboger 01-30-2009 02:19 PM

Hi Ken

Totally understood. And I can vouch for the fact that admin knows the role you play in the forums and in your sponsorship and are very appreciative of it (via offline correspondance). Alot of the people on this forum know that I have a very small hobby business selling used parts, so I try to be sure and let it be known when I'm referring someone to a site other than my own.
Plus, for the record, I do steer quite a few folks in your (Motorcars)directionwhen they need something that I don't have. I know you guys do a great job in the parts department. One of your clients from Hungary actually has his orders from you sent to my house, I add some of my stuff to it, and then it all gets forwarded to Hungary.
So, I understand fully about helping each other out also.

David

ken@britishparts.com 01-30-2009 02:28 PM

Cool! Welcome aboard! Always good to have another knowledgeable member.