Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   fuel tank question (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/fuel-tank-question-69905/)

Darrenmb 03-15-2012 03:52 PM

fuel tank question

I asked teh same question over on jaglovers and have gotten no replies, so i will ask here in the hopes maybe someone knows, I have a broken fuel return line(the rubber portion behind the wheel) i have removed teh bumper blade and the tank cover, i can now see where teh line attaches but cannot reach it, does anyone know if i can loosen the tank and get to it, or do i have to remove the tank all the way??

Thanks in advance

DArren

Fraser Mitchell 03-15-2012 05:05 PM

Have you taken off the round panel at the back of the wheel arch ? It's normally concealed by underseal application. It's about 6-8" across as I remember it, with four screws securing and a gasket, (I think).

If you can do it, download the XJ saloon 11Mb pdf file on Martin Robeys website. It has all the pictures you will ever need of parts assemblies and how everything fits together, plus part numbers. One of the pics of the saloon body shows the hole in the rear wheel arch where this round panel fits

- Martin Robey Sales Ltd - Martin Robey Sales Ltd secure online shop

Darrenmb 04-02-2012 03:58 PM

update on fuel return lines at tank

Ok, so i didnt need to even loosen the tank, the return line attaches to a fitting that screws into the tank, simply remove the fitting and attach new hose, then reinstall fitting, took less than ten minutes!!!! skirt does have to be removed, but round cover in wheel well does not, all that goes through that is the wiring to the return valve!, I have been putting this job off for ages, cannot believe it took less than ten minutes to fix, (not counting removing the bumper blade and skirt!!)

On a side note, before you attack this job, get some safety goggles, theres lots of dirt and junk that fall onto you from up in all those nooks and crannies!

Fraser Mitchell 04-03-2012 10:20 AM

One of the easier jobs on an XJ saloon. There certainly ain't many of these.

Try a rear brakes job some time !!

Darrenmb 04-04-2012 07:05 AM

Tell me about it it! luckily i shouldn't have to do brakes again for a while, i did them when i replaced all the shocks and rear springs on the car! I think the hardest job i have had on teh car was figuring out that it was the bulb failure system that was stopping the rear lights from working, whole thing was screwed up, this was back in the days before i was internet savvy!!!! :) took me days with my trusty test light !!!

whydahdvr 05-04-2012 03:11 PM

Question: How hard is it to replace the fuel pump(s) on an '86 Vanden Plas? I inherited one and either one or both fuel tanks do not seem to be providing fuel - haven't look at the car in a while so a bit fuzzy on my memory. I know that when I used the tank switch I never saw a difference between the two - despite different levels. Looking for ideas and suggestions.
Thanks.

Darrenmb 05-05-2012 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by whydahdvr (Post 508398)
Question: How hard is it to replace the fuel pump(s) on an '86 Vanden Plas? I inherited one and either one or both fuel tanks do not seem to be providing fuel - haven't look at the car in a while so a bit fuzzy on my memory. I know that when I used the tank switch I never saw a difference between the two - despite different levels. Looking for ideas and suggestions.
Thanks.

Fuel pump is a piece of cake on the series 3, its in the trunk!

Doug 05-05-2012 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by whydahdvr (Post 508398)
Thanks.

Here's some reading
Fuel Tank Switchover Checklist, Series III XJ6

Post back if you need help

Cheers
DD

whydahdvr 05-05-2012 11:17 AM

Thanks!