Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   gas cap orientation? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/gas-cap-orientation-131585/)

Darrenmb 11-20-2014 08:54 PM

gas cap orientation?

I failed to label my gas caps, i am sure it really doesn't matter, however can someone go look at their caps and tell me if the covers for the keyholes swing inboard or outward???
Thanks

yarpos 11-20-2014 09:57 PM

Viewed from rear both caps swing left. Left outboard , right inboard

Darrenmb 11-20-2014 10:31 PM

i cant make mine do that, they can either both swing in or both swing out, they aren't identical

yarpos 11-20-2014 11:53 PM

One of mine must have been replaced

JagCad 11-21-2014 03:30 AM

I'll look in the morning. It's cold and dark outside.

Coco woke me for some odd reason. Noises outside. the cats or the raccoon???

Think I'm on to why my car cranks, but doesn't fire.

OTH. does the cap orientation really matter. Caps open rear to front, so, key cap should follow???

Good night, I hope.

Carl

o1xjr 11-21-2014 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by yarpos (Post 1105934)
One of mine must have been replaced

Australians are probably too lazy to walk around to left side of the car,and rather refuel twice as often! Therefore all our worn out right side caps have been replaced with unused left ones from wrecks.

All 5 of mine swing to the left. Five I hear you say!

The two on the car swing to the left as do the two I stripped off the parts car, as well as the other one a mate had on the bench of his workshop that hawk eye here spotted and added to the parts bin.

So no help from me really.

JagCad 11-21-2014 09:17 AM

Checked this morning. Facing forward. Left in, right out. As far as I know, that is the way they were installed at Brownslane on my car.

I've an idea that it was "fielder's choice". What ever was in the bn as the car went together is what it got.

I tank up both at the station. I developed a pirouette that I do with the nozzle. A bit of a pain, but, I just call it fun.

Way back when, on another forum, a lister posted a picture of his car stopped midway between the islands. simultaneous fueling of both tanks via two pumps.

Way back when, I bought a two year old Ford retired from my employer's fleet.
A couple of issues to fix. It had lost the hood. well, with the help of a local blacksmith, we got new captive nuts welded in and fasteners to fir. Amazingly, the hood/bonnet only needed a bit of filler. ands a groove along the top. Same fix, filler. But, a boring white and dog bone caps?? But, frosty AC in AZ was really welcome. We went to SF. After a bit here, I took it to an "Earl Scheib" style painter on Van Ness Avenue. They masked it and shot it in Thunderbird Red. It looked great. Then off to La, another promotion. I had a part time nick name of "Fire Chief". alas, too thirsty for twenty mile one way commute. Sold and replaced by a VW beetle. A couple of my coworkers had 'em. Informal races on quitting time out of the lot and on to the Hollywood Freeway. Bob was a former semi pro racer, but, I won my share.

Carl

Darrenmb 11-21-2014 05:13 PM

Don't know what i was looking at, but both caps ARE the same!!!
Got them installed now! thanks for your answers!

yarpos 11-21-2014 11:20 PM

excellent , always enjoy a good swinging thread

o1xjr 11-22-2014 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by yarpos (Post 1106604)
excellent , always enjoy a good swinging thread

I have heard you Victorians like it both ways!

yarpos 11-22-2014 03:08 AM

both? are there only two choices?

o1xjr 11-22-2014 03:13 AM

Tell us more!

yarpos 11-22-2014 01:29 PM

Its the long winter nights, you have to be creative