Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   gas tank tranfer switch (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/gas-tank-tranfer-switch-122564/)

wardhill 07-23-2014 09:42 AM

gas tank tranfer switch

Can a faulty gas tank tranfer switch ( the one located on the dash) prevent the car from starting. I drove the car to a park. hiked with the dogs and when i got back to start it it would turn over but not fire. Put the car in drive and turned on the ignition but could not hear or feel the gas pump running. I could hear the valve clicking when I pushed the switch and after fiddling with the switch for 30 minutes got the car started. I notice the valve clicking when I just jiggled the switch cap. figured its faulty. Getting new switch but wonder if there's something else askew
thanks
Jeff

Doug 07-23-2014 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by wardhill (Post 1021335)
Can a faulty gas tank tranfer switch ( the one located on the dash) prevent the car from starting.

Doesn't seem likely, off hand. It simply applies (or removes) 12 volts to the changeover valve and the two return valves.

I drove the car to a park. hiked with the dogs and when i got back to start it it would turn over but not fire. Put the car in drive and turned on the ignition but could not hear or feel the gas pump running.

To clarify, you have to turn the key to 'start' to hear the fuel pump run. Simply turning the key to 'on' won't activate the pump circuit

I could hear the valve clicking when I pushed the switch and after fiddling with the switch for 30 minutes got the car started. I notice the valve clicking when I just jiggled the switch cap. figured its faulty. Getting new switch but wonder if there's something else askew
thanks
Jeff

Since you hear the clicking I'd say the switch is doing it's job. The changeover valve might be clogged, though, which would prevent any gas from reaching the fuel pump. Just a thought.

I'd check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail (or at least presence of fuel at the fuel rail) and work from there.

Cheers
DD

Civicalized 07-23-2014 11:03 AM

Not sure if this helps, but when I got my S1 I was getting no power to the pumps, regardless which one I had selected. I pulled the switch off the dash and took it apart. It was completely gunked up with old electric grease and dirt, to the point it wouldn't do its job and complete the circuit. A soft brush and some time and it was like new! Power to the tanks. Maybe pop that switch apart if you can and see what the inside is like, or order a new switch as you mentioned, and if you have no other issues, I would bet the switch was bad/dirty. Dirty may explain why it worked after jiggling it a little bit. Good Luck!

wardhill 07-23-2014 04:01 PM

Thanks , New switch coming, but I wonder about the changeover valve. Can these be cleaned out?

Darrenmb 07-24-2014 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by wardhill (Post 1021530)
Thanks , New switch coming, but I wonder about the changeover valve. Can these be cleaned out?

Don't know about cleaned out. But mine was stuck. I was able to get it working with some carb cleaner and a 9 volt battery. Just kept tapping it with cleaner in and then applied power about 6 OR 7 times and it works fine now. Gas in my tanks was almost a year old though. So clean gas may have helped too. :)