Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an XJ6, now I have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

K:

That heater valve is either original or a replacement of the same type.
Mine is plastic. A somewhat generic replacement. But, it does work.

I like the zip tie fix!!!

I'm far from familiar with the engine management system on these
engines. but temperature sensors seem to play a major role.

You might do some archival research on the sensors and their
functions.

Carl

Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by kalexander
Interestingly, although I am confident that valve is stuck open I don't get heat when the AC is on, it would appear that air isn't pulled through the heater core at all when the air conditioning is running.

All incoming air is cooled first, via the evaporator core, and then heated if needed, via the heater core. Internal flaps regulate this.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I have had a weird problem since then. When restarting the engine after it has sat for only a few minutes and is still hot it will run very poorly with the RPMs rising and falling. Hitting the gas causes backfiring and reluctant increase in RPM, after awhile of hitting the gas it cleans up and all is well. It never does this if the engine has cooled before restarting, only when I have just gone in for lunch and then headed back out. With the heat right now I wondered about vapor lock, which is common with my MGs, but I wouldn't expect that issue with a fuel injected engine. Any ideas?

One possibility is a skewed coolant temp sensor.

Unplug the sensor and jumper the two terminals inside the connector. Any change?

Lots of other 'could be' things but this ^^ is a very easy place to start

Cheers
DD

Old 06-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

I have had a weird problem since then. When restarting the engine after it has sat for only a few minutes and is still hot it will run very poorly with the RPMs rising and falling. Hitting the gas causes backfiring and reluctant increase in RPM, after awhile of hitting the gas it cleans up and all is well. It never does this if the engine has cooled before restarting, only when I have just gone in for lunch and then headed back out. With the heat right now I wondered about vapor lock, which is common with my MGs, but I wouldn't expect that issue with a fuel injected engine. Any ideas?
Air leaks in the intake tract after the air flow meter. Check all the large boots for cracks.
Injector seal leaks. Replace the three seals on each if not new. Easy, cheep.
Vacuum line leaks. pinch each line off and see if it changes anything. If so, trace it down, replace.
Good spark? Hot, blue, and knocks you real good if you let it? If not swap out for a known good or new coil.
Throttle body gap set to .002"?
What's your fuel pressure?
If you do make changes to any of the above it will likely call for a change in idle air screw and mix screw afterwards.

Best of luck! I had the same issue. Sorting all the above got me a steady idle ( 90% of the time ) still a niggling hot-start grumble or two to go.