Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Grade 8 hardware in Canada (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/grade-8-hardware-canada-218525/)

iramphal 05-31-2019 06:44 AM

Grade 8 hardware in Canada

Anyone out there know where to purchase Grade 8 hardware in Canada? I went to my local Fastenal store only to be told (not too politely) that they do not sell to the "Public", I need to be a business! They suggested I try Home Depot!

Doug 05-31-2019 07:35 AM

FWIW, in my neck o' the woods Ace Hardware has Grade 8 fasteners. Most Ace stores have a decent selection of fasteners; some stores have much more than others.

Aside: in my town there are quite a few 'wholesale' only outlets with storefronts that look like retail establishments. The staff in such places is consistently rude. If their signage would clearly indicate 'no retail sales' then maybe they wouldn't have to, oh my god, suffer the gross indignity of having to speak with .....yuck....a member of the lowly general public.

Cheers
DD

JagCad 05-31-2019 11:58 AM

Aye, the local ACE hardware has an impressive collection of fasteners. Including some odd ones. I needed a 1/2" NF in lht nut!!!! I found one.

Some folks just do nt want to deal with the general public.

At my last place of employment, I had to realign some assignments. One included a "pre trial Investigator". new assignment n claim rep. I knew that would not work out. Sure enough not too much later, he resigned. New job???

Another involved a radiologist. His unique home in the woods. An MD, but GP no way. Interpret X rays and other stuff and report to the guy/gal on the front..

For me, meeting and doing business with a wide scope of folks a great pleasure.
The @##%^$$'s notwithstanding.

A time back, my surgeon and I chatted. She closed her practice and returned to the hospital where she did her residency. Limited contact with folks. HA!!! Most anestesized. No problem!!! No more administrative and other stuff, just medicine!!!!

Carl… .

Yellow series3 05-31-2019 04:44 PM

My Home Depot and Lowe's carry grade 8. Not a lot but the most common sizes.

Hillman is the largest manufacturer and distributor of fasteners in the US. They are the ones that supply those little plastic drawers of fasteners you see at Ace. Their headquarters and distribution center is 3 miles from my house but they don't sell to the public.

Last winter in Huntington Beach CA I found an Ace Hardware that had literally hundreds of those little drawers of fasteners. It was heaven, any size, any length, any thread, any material. Cotter keys? Every size you can imagine. You name it they had it. All Hillman, they told me their goal was to carry every item Hillman made. Boy I wish I could find a store like that around here.

Grainger used to sell only wholesale but now they sell retail too. Huge selection of hardware items at very attractive prices. I call the 800 number and the next day go pick it up at my local store. That is where I got the springs for under the hood latch pins. Exact same dimensions as stock but 10# strength instead of 20# stock strength.

LT1 jaguar 05-31-2019 10:19 PM

That's kind of crappy! Here in Wasilla, Ak. our Fastenal store sells everything to the "public" and in small quantities that you can use. They didn't used to though. Our Lowe's store has grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers for the most common sizes. Out Home Depot is not as well stocked and I seldom go there. We have a store called "Fastener and Fire" that carries anything you can imagine in hardware and rigging. "Alaska Industrial Hardware" is the go-to store for anything from tools to micro #80 screws and nuts, but I don't know if they have stores outside of the state. None of this, of course, helps you.
Dave