Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Having difficulties starting XJ6 Series 3 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/having-difficulties-starting-xj6-series-3-a-124176/)

85XJ6JAG 08-15-2014 05:26 AM

Having difficulties starting XJ6 Series 3

Hi all,

(Sorry if I am typing in the wrong area of the website).
I would love to know why my 1985 XJ6 Series 3, 4.2 straight 6 engine is having difficulties starting because it is not turning over fast enough for it to run, this is with a brand new battery to. I have had a chat to other local jag experienced people and they say that the starter motor may be worn out. But why? I really want to have my Jag up and running.
Any suggestions please do so.

Thanks to all.

GGG 08-15-2014 05:39 AM

Welcome to the forum 85XJ6JAG,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XJ6 Series I, II & III forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Doug 08-15-2014 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by 85XJ6JAG (Post 1036622)
I would love to know why my 1985 XJ6 Series 3, 4.2 straight 6 engine is having difficulties starting because it is not turning over fast enough for it to run, this is with a brand new battery to. I have had a chat to other local jag experienced people and they say that the starter motor may be worn out. But why?

Why? Old age !

Yes, the starter is a distinct possibility. However, first make sure your battery cables are clean and tight. Make sure the main ground/earth strap under the car is clean and tight. While you're cleaning and tightening cables and connections don't forget the "+" voltage junction posts on the firewall. The one on the right, in particular, is very important to starter operation.

Cheers
DD

Jagfixer 08-15-2014 09:03 AM

How long have you had car? Has any maintenance been done? And as Doug says , age plays a part as well as setting and not being driven. Regularly driven needs TLC occasionally, setting needs more TLC as weather conditions are hard on older cars. Remember how you felt at 29 then think about today.

Jose 08-16-2014 01:27 AM

I would check other possible causes before deciding to replace the starter; Start by cleaning all the GROUNDS as advised by Doug above. These engines like a lot of "juice" when starting, the cleaner the ground system, the faster they start. Mine is a 1984 and it starts from the first try.

Then confirm that the Fuel Pump is running by listening to it "charge" the fuel system:

1) place the shifter in position "1"

2) insert the key in the ignition switch

3) turn the key to START as if trying to start the engine, holding the key in START position for about 4 seconds, while turning your head to the passenger side seat as you turn the key, (the engine will not start in position "1" but you can hear the pump)

4) you should hear the pump "whirring" as you hold the key in the START position,

5) do this 3 or 4 times.

if you can hear the pump whirrr on each START attempt with the shifter in position "1", the pump is running.

If no sound is heard from the trunk as you do this test, there is a secondary check to do, the Inertia Fuel Cutoff Switch (IFCS). First, let us know if the pump is running.