Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Head gasket not marked (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/head-gasket-not-marked-119855/)

steve_schmidt 06-14-2014 10:05 AM

Head gasket not marked

Hi again,

I'm getting ready to put the head back on my 76 XJ6C. After a 2 week wait to finally receive the gasket set, I opened it this morning to find that the head gasket is not marked "TOP" on either side. The gasket is different on either side so there must be only one way to install it. The gasket looks very similar to the last one I put on, but the old one was not marked either, and since it wasn't sealing, I can't be sure I put it on correctly. One side has much more metal surface area than the other. Any one know if the metal side is the top or the bottom?

Thanks,

Steve

Grant Francis 06-14-2014 10:12 PM

From memory, metal down.

If that gasket does not have the "bead" of sealant tracking around it, both sides, I strongly suggest applying a bead of Hi-Temp RTV around the edge.

steve_schmidt 06-16-2014 07:18 AM

Grant,

Thanks, it does have the continuous bead you mentioned. I also saw that some mechanics recommend "indian head" copper around the timing chain area. The shop manual says the gasket should mate to a clean surface and nothing else.

Anyone use indian head before?

Steve

Grant Francis 06-16-2014 07:12 PM

Steve,

Never heard of Indian Head.

The manual was probably written back in the days preceding teh sealant beads on head gaskets.

When I use them, I ensure the mating surfaces a CLEAN, and DRY. I use carb cleaner in p/pack can to get that cleanliness.

Providing the gasket has the bead around teh timing chain section, use nothing.

If there is doubt to the integrity of the timing cover to block being machine level, then a "dob" of Hi Temp RTV at that joint is used. More of a "security blanket" thing than scientific.

Those beads are a sealant, and work well once the engine is fired up and temp is introduced. I have no idea of the temp that "sets" that bead off, but not much I reckon.

Dont forget some RTV (smear only) either side of the harden washers under the dome head nuts. Again, just a smear, or coolant can/will ooze out of that area.

steve_schmidt 06-17-2014 07:08 AM

Grant,

I cleaned the deck and the head with scotchbrite and WD40 until it gleamed. I then removed any remaining residue with mineral spirits. I will wipe it down one last time before I put the gasket and the head in place and torque it all down. I paid a lot of attention to stud height, chased down the threads on the studs and dome nuts, so I'm hoping to get a good seal this time around.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

JagCad 06-17-2014 08:51 AM

I remember "Indian Head". One of their products was a shellac like goo. It came in a tin can. A dauber was attached to the lid. Sticky stuff. Used a lot with paper gaskets or at time copper sandwich gaskets, mostly to keep them in place, I think,
That dates to the late 40's and early fifties, in my experience and likely before. .

Much later a copper containing product came under some brand. In dauber or spray. Good for gaskets on less than perfect surfaces.

Carl