Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Headlight conversion (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/headlight-conversion-168805/)

jordanmc 09-05-2016 05:15 PM

Headlight conversion

Hi everyone,
So if I understand correctly the xj6 had larger lights in England resulting in two sizes of lights on the car. In North America all 4 came the same size. Is this easy to change to European specs?

alynmurray 09-05-2016 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No its not crazy.. The car was designed for a larger outer headlight and looks "correct". The quad set up was a result of the Feds bungling.

I have the 7 inch headlamps and love the original look.

jordanmc 09-05-2016 05:26 PM

Changing them

I agree. What are the steps to change them? Assuming you need different rings? Does that cancel out the fresh air vent or is the vent just smaller?

alynmurray 09-05-2016 05:39 PM

You need the 7 inch headlight buckets (MGB Trumph etc. ) the rims and the clips that hold the light and the rim in place. The vent is the same size. The rims are a direct replacement. Check ebay UK check with EverydayXj - Dave Boger

JagCad 09-06-2016 10:19 AM

The headlight size issue ranks along with oil viscosity, synthetic or dino, tires, etc.

The Feds do meddle, no ?. But, I think it was more of a styling issue. One of the USA big three decided that four lamps was slick. They submitted and were approved. Gotta stay with the pack mentality ensued. Some applications, crude and some merely different. Pontiac stacked them. Even the big over the road diesel trucks fell in to it...

Well, Jaguar used the different sized lamps at home and every other market. It had a choice, get it's "odd in the USA" array approved. Probably no issue in doing that. Or, just adjust, competitive reasons triumphed.

I have an array of parts to go from the out board 5 1/4" to 7". fresh Wagner 7' Halogens as well. I've done the inboards from old tech sealed beams to newer tech Halogens. Merely, fresh makes a lot of difference.

There is a discernible difference between the Jaguar 7" buckets and the MG units. I've both. Each given me by fellow Jag listers. Sanchez here and Pete Crespin from J-l. But, outwardly close enough, so they should fit. All are now cleaned, primed and painted.

In the mix, is a battered set of four 51/4" assemblies. Good as models to see the Jaguar method of assembly vs the MG method.
And of special import, the method of aiming them!!!

The MG units differ in two important ways.

1. The ring that secures the lamp in the Jaguar version uses a method that allows the retension screws to screws to remain in place and the ring rotted just a bit to remove and the same in reverse to secure. I am contemplating using Allen heads in lieu of the Pozi's to assist in doing that in situ.

2. The MG units have a separate insert that goes in the bucket. Not sure as to why yet. But, the Jaguar buckets have a ledge and the MG units do not. That may be why!

As of now, I'm inclined to use all MG, as one of the Jag units has seen
bite of the Rust monster. A PO repair in fiber glass got a lot, but still a bit, "holy". I was going to rivet in a metal patch. The metal collapsed at the bite of the bit. (that word play thing.

I do have an almost decent spare pair of 5 14' bezels. I pan to grind out the openings. How, still contemplating.

Detour: I've two door bell buttons at my front door. One rings the ancient clapper in the kitchen. The other chimes, in my "office" where I at the back of the house. As my ears are "compromised", I thought
that slick! Naah, I failed to hear an expected visitor. But, checked and found him at the door ringing, ort so he thought.

After business done. I began the sleuthing process. Three phased:

1. Ancient clapper OK at front door, not at the back door. Just me. No one rings at the back door, so why fuss with it more. Prior efforts did not work.

2. Three dead "D" cells in the chimes. Fixed. Teeny little 12v in the ringer just fine. VOM is so handy!!!

3. Found an envelope in a drawer full of remotes. Bunch of AAA's there. VOM used. Most dead. Thse and others will go in special pickup with the garbage tomorrow.

EXTRA: Coco's ears are fine, he easily hears either bell and reacts. Backup system!!!

Son wonders why I am devoting so much to swap lamps. I've no objective answer!!! To me the lamps look fine in either configuration, so long as they light up as commanded. In past, not always the case!!

Apologies for the extraneous...

Carl

JagCad 09-06-2016 10:26 AM

Also:

I just might take on the bonnet blanket issue, as a respite, while I contemplate. The moth eaten bear rug that was there has been long gone. I've not missed it's supposed heat and sound insulation properties. But, the exposed paint on he underside is dull and resists polishing efforts.

I've a "rattle can" of bed liner. A mask and drape job and shoot the portion formerly "adorned" by the "rug".

Carl

primaz 09-07-2016 12:18 AM

I have a good recommendation if any of you want upgrade the front headlights to LED's. Yes my car is a 3.8s but it uses the same headlights. I used the Vision X 7" LED with their relay kit so that on high beam all 5 elements light up. They are lifetime warranty, fully legal in all countries, and are the brightest lights I have seen.

Yes they are not cheap but today the factory Xenon and upgrade lights on most cars are way more expensive. These lights make it so much safer to run hard thru the mountain passes, etc. and look great.
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...-low-high-halo

JagCad 09-07-2016 08:48 AM

Sure do "light up" nicely.

As Halogens are old tech, that is why I got them really cheap via rock auto.

Not up to the LEDs as in your car, but way good enough for my purposes.

Either beat the h... out of the plastic critters in my Jeep. Even after a polish and ugraded bulbs. any thing, even the 32 CP's in an old Ford
beat it's 'lights". A misnomer, for sure....

Nice car, nicely done.

Carl

Sarc 09-08-2016 09:30 AM

This may help

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...5/