Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   headlight problems highbeam/lowbeam (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/headlight-problems-highbeam-lowbeam-12935/)

dixie1351 03-25-2009 11:10 PM

headlight problems highbeam/lowbeam

I have an "84 XJ6 with headlight issues. The low beams work fine but when I try to switch to High beam "darkness" all four headlights are out. I can hear, what I think is the headlight relay making noise when I flip the switch, but cannot figure out why the high beams don't wanna come on. Do I need a new relay? :confused:

yes I changed the bulbs out, fuses are intact, and such. That's what I hear from local mechanics. :p

I've found relays at my favorite online shop autohaus.com for $160+
but don't know if that is even the problem.

I went to jaggraveyard with no luck at all finding headlight relays. (maybe I'm wording my searches wrong)

Note: the relays that I find don't look at all like the one in the vehicle.

JagtechOhio 03-25-2009 11:43 PM

The headlight relay for your XJ6 is just forward of, and slightly below, the brake master cylinder (assuming this is a U.S. left hand drive car). It is a large rectangular silver relay, Hella manufacture. If you look on the inboard relay connections, you will see a pair of blue/ red wires (low beam), a pair of blue/ white wires (high beam), and a blue wire (feed from headlight switch). In your case, if you swap the blue/ red and the blue/ white connections, you should have all four highbeams... and darkness when you hit the flash switch and operate the relay, no lowbeams. That will confirm that the relay is bad: no power to terminal 56a in either position, but fuses and lamps all in proper working order.

If that's the case, and you want a good used original equipment relay, please click on my screen name above and send me a private message.

If the relay tests OK and you still have only low beams, you'll need to do some checking with a testlight. Doug Dwyer posted some troubleshooting tests for these circuits about two months ago, I didn't read the post but he is a credible source and the fuse and bullet connector problems are probably discussed in detail there.

Jose 03-26-2009 05:37 AM

Dixie,

which Fuses have you checked? the ones in the engine compartment located near the brown coolant tank?

there are 5 fuses there in the little fuse box: 1 for each headlamp, and the fifth is for the auxiliary cooling fan located under the front bumper.

Jose

Doug 03-26-2009 09:29 PM

JTO and Jose have given you plenty to go on but here's the checklist that was mentioned

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjfaq/headlamp.htm

Cheers
DD

dixie1351 03-27-2009 07:13 AM

I have not found a fuse bus in the engine compartment. I have two fuse buses in the passenger compartment one on driver side with 7 fuses one on passenger side with 5 fuses both under the dash board.

there is one crazy fuse connect under the hood that I did find, right in the center just below the windshield. but I don't think it's factory. I think it's jury rig from the looks of it. It may be to the windshield wiper system though.

Doug 03-27-2009 07:36 AM

The headlight fuse box is on the left side, near the coolant tank, as Jose said. The plastic cover is, oh, maybe 1.25" x 3.5". You can't miss it.

Not sure about the other fuse you mentioned. The horn fuse is in an in-line fuse holder approximately above the battery...but that's a long way from center. Jaguar did use a lot of mysteriously placed in-line fuses, though.

Cheers
DD

N3FOL 06-17-2009 01:16 PM

Relay

I think I replaced my relay long time ago and my headlights still don't work. The link given by Doug seems to be the best way to start in troubleshooting the problem. When I get home, I will have to start cleaning contacts and may change fuses along the way.