Sponsored by:

Heat in California and friends

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Default Heat in California and friends

Elinor:

Are you and husband all right ? No posts concern me and probably others.
Unlike you !!

Just really hot and a lot to do other than tending to NIX?

Sure do hope so!!!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Carl

It is supposed to be 105F here in So Cal today, 110F Tuesday and 107F on Wednesday.. hope it is cooler "up north"?

Old 08-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Roger:

Not enough to matter if any at all. The only refuge is to go west. On to the N part of the coast. Circa SF. Our mini-clime thing.

Up north from here to Elinor's country, numbers like the ones you describe.

As of now, the doors here are open and fans on for needed "fresh" air. I'll batten down and cool, the front part of the house til well after night fall.

Outside tasks deferred for a few days !!!!

Cool lunch planned. No cooking.

Carl

Old 08-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Unseasonable Summer heat in south Bay Area. We've seen 100+ degrees in San Jose. Was even hotter when we were at the Delta Saturday. It seems that the Jet Stream is keeping the West hot, and preventing the Texas storm from moving out faster. No real complaints here. Best wishes for all caught in that disaster.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Elinor:

Are you and husband all right ? No posts concern me and probably others.
Unlike you !!
Why, Thank you, Carl, yes we're just fine. We went to Kentucky for a week to watch the eclipse (which was Awesome btw) and I've been playing catch-up until now.
Just really hot and a lot to do other than tending to NIX?

Sure do hope so!!!

Carl
Well, about Nix, she came home on a flat bed Friday. It was my "regular driver," said when he got the call he knew Exactly which car he was after. We're nearly on first name basis!

As soon as I'm brave enough I'll check out if I really threw the timing chain while passing that line of traffic, and as I could see about 4 miles of clear road ahead I kept my foot well into the carburetor, and while still in passing gear (3rd) she shifted at 5000rpm still pulling strong, which I thought that was probably fast enough for that place and time (somewhere around 120mph), and so in a fit of incredible stupidity I also let off the gas.

The tach quit immediately and she didn't really run very well after that (backfired through the carb, finally died), but as the pressure was still up in the transmission, thus turning the engine, I had power steering to coast 3/4 mile to a convenient parking area at the Strip Joint (still had enough speed to need brakes to make the turn, but it was slightly downhill with a tail wind!) to await the Yellow Truck.

Husband, who was along at the time, thinks it's the distributor module, but I will be Really surprised if that engine upgrade hasn't elbowed its way to the front of the line, and I have no one to blame but myself.

As for the heat, it's better than we had in Kentucky! One morning at 6am it was 73F and FOG!! Daytime temps weren't that bad except for 105% humidity. Everyone's AC runs 24/7 just to keep the mold out of the closets. Even though we returned to heat and smoky air, we're Really glad to be back.

And don't Even get me started on the quality of airline service these days!
(';')

Old 08-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear things are at least almost OK, and what isn't is fixable.

I've not been East for decades, but that awful humidity remains firm in my mind. I have a little table by my kitchen door I put there to loads groceries to. It is under the window cooler for the kitchen and front part of the housel. I noted it was wet this morning when Coco and I ventured forth. Condensate!!! Add that to our 100 + ! No wonder it was "uncomfortable out early on!

As to NIX. Lots of RPM's then a quick back off can jump a loose chain. At least SBC's are not known to bend a bunch of valves when that happens.
Decades ago, my son bought a surplus PGE truck with a lot of miles, but
o'wise in good shape. They do maintain their fleet. Ooops,. It jumped a chain. Heavy foot, no doubt. But, it bent a bunch of valves and push rods. Gathered new valves from all over. When stymied by a source of push rods, I put them on my bash bench and hammered them "straight". It worked, the little 302 ran just fine.

Or was it as husband suggests, the module succumbed to heat. As we all know electronics don't like heat any more than we humans.

Some of the tow guys are great, but some, I can not vouch for. When my Jeep quit in the hands of my daughter, I had to intervene. A real jerk trying to rip her off. Got a good one, though.

But, I did upgrade my service. A hundred not enough.

Carl

LnrB (08-29-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

well i,m in central TEXAS, Austin, had 21days of 100+ and the relief was a storm of the century(you probably read it all over the media,HOUSTON and areas).

we got people comin in from that area, looking for safe haven.

but gotta LOVE these Texans ,many helping saving folks from the flood waters. we have MANY donation places the response has been really great.

they brought boats ,jacked up trucks and any thing that floats.

problem is what do you do with 40,000 thousand people and children.
its overwhelming the devistation!

Trumps supposed to put up much money, he already donated one million of his personal money, and then Sandra Bullock donated one million also, by now some more rich people have donated. I hope.

to add; what is very uncomfortable is here , at night it stays hot ,temps do not go down much , like 90F at midnight.

Last edited by ronbros; 09-01-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Daf11e (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I heard something about that, Ron,
I can't imagine 40,000 storm refugees! You still have people from Katrina, don't you?
(';')

ronbros (09-01-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Ron:

I got my geography mixed up. For an unexplainable reason, I concluded you were in the Houston area. Wrong!!!

Yes, I gotta be proud of my fellow Texans. Both rescuers and rescued. Fighting through it. And folks from all over. Local FD's sending teams.

And, in one case a guy from Louisiana with "air boat". Ideal, no prop in the water to foul in debris.

And a dozen or more formed a human chain to rescue an older guy stuck out in the water in his pickup. Even dump trucks and front end loaders with human cargo. And the chopper guys in the air, no matter the danger....

Yeah, unlike that other divisive stuff, this is unity, all together.

Carl

ronbros (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yeah, unlike that other divisive stuff, this is unity, all together.

Carl
Leave the politicians out of it and people can actually get stuff done!
(';')

ronbros (09-02-2017)