Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Hello all- a new owner here. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/hello-all-new-owner-here-10675/)

phoenix02 01-26-2009 06:47 PM

Hello all- a new owner here.

Hello,

A little back story- I'm 24 years old, live in So cal and love older Jags. I used to have a '76 XJ-12L with a motor and trans out of a '70 Vette. It was the best car I've ever owned, bar none. I loved the thing. My wife and I moved, things changed and she got sold... the car, not the wife.

I've missed her since I sold her about two years ago. I was thinking about getting another car, as I need as second for us now- we have a little one on the way- and decided on a Jag again- for inexpensive repair and cheap insurance, with it being an older car.

I searched until I found what I was looking for... kind of. :) I wanted an S2 XJ-12 with a 350 lump, but no dice there. Here's what I found:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/989127635.html

It's a '73 XJ6. It's in really amazing condition... unfortunately, it's sat since 2001. I need to clean out the gas tanks, and the turn signal indicators aren't working... also, the brake MS recervoir is cracked and won't hold fluid, so I need to find another of those, or upgrade to a S3 car's master cylinder with the top mounted reservoir. She turned over and ran fine with starting fluid.

The car came with a newly done leather interior in biscuit- I need to redo the headliner and refinish the wood- both front and rear windscreen gaskets, an estra set of SU carbs, A Haynes manual, a Jaguar History book, all the original documentation- including the window price tag and all the warning papers, everything- plus all receipts for repair from new.

I had planned on lumping her with a 350 or 302, but she's just in such good condition, with all the original paperwork... unless the motor goes, I don't think I can find it in my heart to lump her. I'm hoping repairs on the 4.2 won't be too expensive... I do all my own work, so that helps some.

Oh, and I traded a new set of tires for it... Cost me $900.

Is there anyting I need to be aware of, cautionary warnings... anything you can think of?

Thanks,
Michael

Walter1982 01-26-2009 07:03 PM

RE: Hello all- a new owner here.

you lucky dog......

davidboger 01-26-2009 10:42 PM

Hi Michael

Great looking car!

These cars don't like to sit too long, and sometimes when you find the ones that have there are some things that you need to look at closely.
Having the records from new will help alot.

I'd say that while you are taking the time to clean the tanks, also consider dropping them and having them refurbished. It's not too tough a job, you can get the kits from Eastwoods or POR15. Once they have started leaking it's too late for a repair. And I've had to help alot of people find new tanks for their cars.
Look at all the hoses carefully, especially the fuel and brake lines.
Most of the little electrical glitches you will come across willmost likelybe a thing where you need to clean contacts.

Write back with any specific problems and I'm sure you'll get some helpfull responces.

Good luck with your car,
David Boger
EverydayXJ.com

Doug 01-27-2009 12:39 AM

Cool :D

Sounds like you already have a handle on the "recommissioning" stuff. Flush tanks, change all fluids, filters, etc

New leather is a big "plus"

Nothing to fear from a 4.2. With some care they'll last darn near forever. If it is basically sound it'll likely soldier on for years. The carbs might need some love after sitting for 8 years.

The heating/air conditioning is the only thing I'd be a little nervous about, personally. Sometimes repairs in this area are a real PITA

Cheers
DD