Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Hi new to forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/hi-new-forum-119364/)

Mad Matt 06-07-2014 02:59 AM

Hi new to forum

Hi
I am in wa and have been into Jags since my early 20s. Now we have two xj6, one for spares is a 1984 and an 1986 currently at the workshop getting checked over and finding all the missing pieces. We got it form my dad who swapped it for a merc. Previous owners had swapped out the motors but was not completed it become to had for my dad. So we are getting her back into shape. Number plate is Lady J.

XJ6 1986 toy
XJ6 1984 spares
Navara D40 farm ute
Xtrial my wife's drive.

o1xjr 06-07-2014 03:25 AM

Hi Matt, Welcome.
Drop into the new member area for an intro, a warm welcome and plenty of help will follow.
check out the Australia/NZ section as well,plenty of help there too.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ew-zealand-51/

Grant Francis 06-07-2014 05:04 AM

Boyanup, NICE part of the island to call home.

Welcome to our world.

As Clarke said, do what you must in the new member area.

Napoleon Solo 06-07-2014 11:34 AM

Welcome! I lived in Ocean Reef, just North of Perth. That's where I bought my S2 XJ-6 and brought it home to Canada.
Lots of info here - great people.

LnrB 06-07-2014 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Matt (Post 990897)
Hi
I am in wa and have been into Jags since my early 20s. Now we have two xj6, one for spares is a 1984 and an 1986 currently at the workshop getting checked over and finding all the missing pieces. We got it form my dad who swapped it for a merc. Previous owners had swapped out the motors but was not completed it become to had for my dad. So we are getting her back into shape. Number plate is Lady J.

XJ6 1986 toy
XJ6 1984 spares
Navara D40 farm ute
Xtrial my wife's drive.

Hello, Matt, it's good to have you with us.

It's a shame what some of those POs do to these Fine Automobiles!
You'll find lots of great help and information here.
Welcome from ElinorB.
(';')

JagCad 06-07-2014 03:10 PM

Hehe,

1. PO also can be read as present owner!!!

2. Some PO's are far better than others.

3. The guy/gal before me got some things right and others not so much.

4. Not planning on it now, but someday.... It's new owner will be pleased with some things and others not so much.

Coco and I went to market. He now likes either car. Jaguar today. Exchanged "thumbs up" with a fellow in a pristine 55 Tbird, top down!! Other cars in the market park far out shown. But, Jaguar needs some attention. Vacumn, wash, wax, etc.

Just for the fun of it, a newish white MBZ was alongside at a stop light. Neat dog in back seat!, Coco interested, I not so much. BUT. when the light went green, I stomped down a bit. Jaguar way out front of the MBZ!!! 20 year old power still has it, over the much younger MBZ!!!

Welcome and enjoy it!!

Carl

Mad Matt 06-08-2014 03:10 AM

Thanks guys
Western Australia feels along away away at times and finding like minded jag people can be hard to find.
Once the old girl is going it will need some rust removal. Lucky it's an Australian import so only a few minor spots. Just got to find the right guy. So many panel beaters these days are just fitters, changing out panels and do not have the old skills of repairing.

o1xjr 06-08-2014 03:19 AM

That is exactly why I think I'm going to get a couple of panels from a wrecker and teach myself some new skills. My eldest brother is a spray painter by trade and had a couple of panel shops back in the late 80's,but he's been in the electrical/ retail game for 20+ years now but I'm sure he can still give me some pointers(by email) as he is 1000km away. He is NW Queensland to be precise, and he just asked where I was going to park the parts car when I told him I bought a Jag.

JagCad 06-08-2014 12:13 PM

Matt:

Yeah, it is mostly remove the fasteners and replace the dented panel with a new or good used one. or, as potential members of the plasterer's union.......

The techniques in moving metal are somewhat dormant. And, that is what dent repair is all about. Cutting out rusted metal and replacing it with replacement panels or using generic steel is a talent of it's own. So many new tools available to do that. Plasma cutting, MIG, TIG, industrial adhesives, etc.

Way back when in my former professions, I saw masters of metal and masters of plaster. One of the most impressive was a guy in blue overall and a chambric shir that joined the front and back halves of a 58 and 57 Ford frame. One with sever front damage and the other with the same to the rear. The cuts made with a "blue wrench", but staggered to create a lap in two planes joint. Then tacked in Oxyacetylene and turned over to a master welder to stick weld. That fellow added fish plates for improved stability. Noted, welded along two parallel dimensions rather than all four for flexibility to prevent fractures.

Early in in my car disease, I was enamored with welding. My first was a primitive bottle of electrolyte and two immersed plates charged by 120 volts. Amazingly, albeit at the cost of a house hold fuse or two, it would generate enough of an arc to join metal with a stick. alas the shield for the eyes was imperfect, another tale!!

Then, came Oxyacetylene. A lot to learn. Prime most, adjustment of the flame from Oxy rich, intense blue, to neutral. Huge effect on the welds.

And, much alter, a stick welder. Starting the arc, keeping it, too hot or too cold all things to learn. I did learn that heating the work with the torch made things start and flow much better.

Although, imperfect, I like to bash and weld metal. The grinder makes things look so much better.

I am messing with an HF MIG. New to me technique that I am just barely getting to work sorta.

I had a choice of recharging my oxygen and acetylene tanks or a new MIG. I chose the latter.
Carl

LnrB 06-08-2014 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 991751)

[...]

I am messing with an HF MIG. New to me technique that I am just barely getting to work sorta.

I had a choice of recharging my oxygen and acetylene tanks or a new MIG. I chose the latter.
Carl

Carl, you are nothing short of Amazing!

You are a prime example that there's no such thing as too much experience, and no matter how much one already knows, there's always more to learn.

Two thumbs up!
(';')

Mad Matt 06-09-2014 03:36 AM

Thanks all
I am asking a around as I am better with a bulldozer than a welder. Can make 10 acres dead flat but can't weld two bits of metal together to save my life.

JagCad 06-10-2014 10:18 AM

LnrB:

Thanks. I just keep trying. I like all kinds of tools and mechanical things. My skills are purely DIY level. No where near pro level. But, for the most part, I get it done.

Matt:

Wow, I don't want to think of the carnage, if I tried to skin a CAT!!! When I was a kid, Dad made extra money shoeing mules for a contractor that built roads. The old way!!! A team of two or four mules pulling a Fresno. A big bucket similar to those on a modern day front loader. It had vertical handle and a tag line. The teamster walked behind, reins in one hand and the tag line in the other. The tag line controlled the angle f the bite and subsequent unload of the bucket. Used to level and/or move dirt from place to place. Much like a dozer today.

As to welding, start with oxy acetylene. Step one. master Oxy pressures and O2 pressures. Using the regulators on the tanks. Then, flame color. A longish blue arrow being most used. Next. Clean scrap for practice. Dirty and rusty just adds issues.
Then the puddle. Just right between too cold, poor joints and too hot, burn throughs.
Just a tad hotter than cheery red is usually best. Good rod for a beginner, although clothes hangers did a lot for me!! Heat the rod to melt point as you feed it into the puddle. First objective is penetration. Pretty seam comes last. If penetration is lacking, weld the other side. The grinder fixes a lot as to appearance. My seams never got pretty. But, got penetration to the point that grinding would make the seam disappear. Get the basics understood and then practice and more of it.

Carl

Mad Matt 06-18-2014 04:30 AM

Got the phone call, lady J is ready to pick up Friday.