Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Hood misaligned -- hood rubbing on body on passenger side! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/hood-misaligned-hood-rubbing-body-passenger-side-68420/)

tylerwerrin 02-17-2012 10:56 PM

Hood misaligned -- hood rubbing on body on passenger side!

Today i tried to close my hood, and i noticed that it wouldnt shut right -- not just a simple latching issue, but it wouldnt shut right period. I inspected the hood at the front, passenger side and noticed that it is not aligned properly -- it is actually rubbing against the body of the car.

What could have caused this? is there a way to bend the hinge back so that it is aligned properly and i can close the hood? I don't want to scratch up my paint anymore!

any help would be great!

Tyler W.

Grant Francis 02-19-2012 02:43 AM

Assuming a S3 car ????.

Dont go bending things, it rarely works.

Something has moved/worn/whatever.

The hinges themselves are prone to pin wear overtime, and that is certainly a factor here. I have seen bolts welded in there (as pins) and all sorts of wiierd patch up repairs, which look like they have been done with it in-situ, and that just does NOT work.

Do it ONCE, do it properly, and forget it for another 20+ years.

The hinges are held to the body by 2? bolts thru via the vertical panel adjacent to the radiator. On my S2's I eneded up removing the radiator to get at these bolts, it was just waaay easier in the long run.

Obviously bonnet (hood) OFF is the only way. Mark the hinge position on the bonnet PRIOR to undoing those bolts.

Somone with a S3, and is more familiar with that model will chime in eventually, I am sure.

Fraser Mitchell 02-19-2012 02:53 PM

Oh dear, it's such a long time ago I did this ! As I remember it each hinge bolts up to the hood via 4 screws, which go into a tapped and captive plate on the hood, such that the hood position can be set left/right.

So, first off, you position the hood approximately, then tighten up the screws, but not too tight, then then lower hood gently to the latches to check its position, then if not correct, juggle it around until the latch bolts ease down nicely into the latch.

There may be setting instructions in the workshop manual. If you really cannot get it right, you might have to loosen the wings off so you can butt these up to the hood instead.

NBCat 02-19-2012 11:34 PM

By 'wings' Fraser means the 'fenders'. Take a good look at the front bumper and see if the bumper or impact 'shocks' are out of position and pressing on the bonnet (hood). If not, then one of the hinges may be broken. Given the age of these vehicles, hinge pins shearing off should not be totally unexpected.

NBCat