XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Check Tranny Fluid on Series II XJ6? (Pics)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How to Check Tranny Fluid on Series II XJ6? (Pics)?

After checking the threads, I found nothing regarding the proper method of checking the Automatic Transmission Level on a Series II XJ6. The owners manual only discusses how to check it with the engine warm and while idling. However, the dipstick has one side that says "Cold" and the other side says "Hot". I would assume that you can check the Tranny level with the engine cold by pulling out the dipstick and reading the "Cold" side, but there is nothing in the manual discussing it.

I am restoring my 77 XJ6L and just got the engine running after 20 years of sitting idle in a garage. There is no Reverse action, but it does pull forward in Drive. Today I pulled the dipstick with the engine Cold, and the fluid was 4 inches above the "Max" reading on the Cold side of the dipstick:

In the picture, the allen wrench marks the level of the fluid, and my finger shows the "Max" mark on the dipstick. So, with the fluid 4 inches above the "Max" mark, is there too much fluid in the Borg Warner Model 65 tranny? Could this be causing the tranny to have no Reverse action?

Sorry......I forgot to warn you to put your sun glasses on......or welding glasses.....Ha ha.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

first make sure you have the correct dipstick for transmission oil.

the one shown looks to me like an older style, but only Series 2 owners would know. I have a Series 3.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:46 AM

Jose......Yep, correct dip stickker. 20 years ago, the PO had some shifting issues, and had the tranny rebuilt twice, and paid a fortune in the process. He said he drove it a couple weeks, and the symptons came again, and then Reverse failed to work. He was so upset that he managed to drive it home to his garage (wasnt shifting into all forward gears either), and he just threw in the towell and went out and bought another car. So it sat there for 20 years until I recently bought it. Is it possible that it just has way too much fluid in the tranny?

One would think that with a dipstick that has a Cold scale on one side and the Hot scale on the other side, that you could get a reasonably accurate level reading when the car is parked and cold.......if not, why did they put that scale on the dipstick? However, the Jaguar owners manual does not mention checking the level when cold.
My next step is to run the engine, get her warm, and then try to check the fluid level.

I hope to get some feedback from other Series II owners.......can you use the "Cold" side of the dipstick?????

Old 06-25-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

in my '84 Maintenance Handbook it says:

Car must be on a Level surface,

run engine at 750 rpm for several minutes,

pass Shifter Selector through complete range of gears to ensure transmission system is Primed.

Position Shifter Selector at P (Park),

Run engine at idle speed, withdraw Dipstick,

wipe dipstick clean and inmediately check fluid by replacing dipstick and withdrawing it.

if necessary, bring fluid level to the MAX mark on the COLD side of the dipstick.

Do not overfill.

NOTE: THE HOT MARK ON THE DIPSTICK SHOULD ONLY BE USED AFTER A JOURNEY OF AT LEAST 15 MILES.

My conclusion: your transmission is overfilled. Drain the fluid and refill following the above instructions.

The following users liked this post:
lickahotskillet (02-08-2022)
Old 06-25-2018, 10:33 AM

Jose......When your 84 has been sitting for a day or so, engine cold, and you pull the dipstick out, about how high up is the fluid on those hash marks? Does yours go way above those marks? I agree with you and think someone has dumped in way too much fluid in it. Would be good if another owner of a mid 70s XJ6 would chime in and let me know his tranny level with a cold engine.

Based on the last sentence in your instructions, about using the "Hot" mark after a 15 minute journey, then it sounds like the "Cold" mark is intended to be used with the engine running, but not after a long run. However, my manual is super vague about it. Regarding these trannies, would it be that difficult for the manufacturer to just put a mark on the dipstick for checking level with a cold engine, and just avoid checking with it running hot, semi-hot, or warm? Make it simple like checking engine oil.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

the fluid is at the COLD mark with a totally cold engine. When engine has been running for about 30 minutes or more, the fluid is at the HOT mark.

Elinor has a Series 2, maybe she'll show up.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:54 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

My '75 SII 4.2L engine had the same dipstick. Based on advice from the forums, I always went for a good 10-15 minute run, then put it the car in park, engine running and checked the Hot side of the dipstick and adjusted fluid level accordingly. I can't recall what my SII manual said as far as checking the fluid. I never really made a point of checking the level when cold as I wasn't sure if it meant running but cold or what. Occasionally I would check the level with engine off, car cold and the level would be up on on the stick but I can't remember how far. I'm very sure it was never close to where you have the allen wrench in your photo.

Last edited by XJ6Paul; 06-25-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:34 PM

XJ6Paul......Thanks for the info. I agree with you.....we both dont really know if "Cold" on the dipstick means checking with the engine running, but a non-warmed-up engine, or if it means a non-running Cold engine. Im leaning in the direction of the engine running, changing the gear lever to hit all the gears, then back to Park, then checking the fluid level and using the "Cold" side of the dipstick. But you dont recall ever seeing it so high on the dipstick, so I bet it has been over-filled. Who knows, after draining some, maybe I will find that Reverse is working......wishful thinking.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

and the manual says

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMG_20180625_0003.pdf (285.5 KB, 207 views)
File Type: pdf
IMG_20180625_0002.pdf (417.1 KB, 303 views)
Old 06-25-2018, 07:48 PM

Geneo......Yep, same manual as mine. Note that it does not even address using the "Cold" side of the dipsticker. I guess they just wanted one simple directions so as not to confuse the owners. I bet Borg Warner might offer a more detailed set of instructions, and even directions for "Cold" readings......but my brief web searches found nothing.

What say you.......Do you think my cold reading with the fluid 4 inches above the "Max Cold" mark is too much?

Old 06-25-2018, 08:16 PM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Well, I've only ever checked my fluid hot....however this morning I checked it cold for you and.....it's over..74 ser2..its at the beginning of the spring.

Last edited by Daf11e; 06-25-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:46 PM

DAF11........Big round of applause.....Bravo, Bravo! Now I have a benchmark for comparison....since your level Cold went to the beginning of the spring, my level appears a couple inches too high. Before pumping any out, I will do a quick check with the engine running......and will post the results.

The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (06-25-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Trans fluid expands a lot with heat.

With a stone cold engine I start the engine and check the level on the 'cold' side of the stick just to make sure there's a satisfactory minimum amount in the trans. I'll add a bit if needed but otherwise wait until I've driven a good ten miles....preferably more... before checking again, to make sure the fluid is HOT. Then check and adjust level if needed. Checking with the fluid merely warm just adds to the frustration, IMO.

If you pull the stick out with the engine not running, and after the car has been sitting overnight or longer, the level is likely to be excessively high due to drain-back into the sump.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-26-2018, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

1. First and foremost. In view of the big fires up Elinor's way. I sure would like to herar that she, NIX and husband are OK!!!

2. Yes, as I see it, the cold vs hot levels also have to do with drain back and fluid in movement to lines valves and the converter.

3. But, Doug's comment on fluid expansion is a factor.

4. Tis hard to beat the documents for guidance.

5. The concept applies to all slush boxes...

Carl

Old 06-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dipstick 1978 XJ6 ser.2

On my 78 after changing oil by dropping the pan and replacing the gasket
I put a little over 4 quarts in the pan.

Then warm it up and check fluid at idle speed and should read about 1/4" above HOT on the stick.
Anything over that and leaving the car set for a few days it might leak out over night.

Walter

Old 06-26-2018, 04:15 PM

New Mex. Walter.......The good ole manual says 15 pints for the tranny, so your 4 qts (16 pints) is fine, and thats the reason its 1/4" above the Hot mark. Better a pint too much rather than a pint too little......same comment comes from all the local pubs in Ireland.

Out of curiosity, have you ever pulled the tranny dipstick and checked it completely cold, after the car has been sitting for a day or two?

Doug.....Thanks for the comments about the oil expanding alot with temp. However, one would think that they all would drain back down to a certain level on the dip stick after sitting a day or two.......seems that would also be a good mark to "etch" onto the dip stick for a reference. From what others have said, my oil mark 4 inches above the Cold "Max" mark seems excessive.

Carl......Guess we all need a "slush fund" to cover these "slush boxes" for the time when they begin to fail.
Can anyone give an idea as to why Reverse Gear would not be working? Can too much fluid cause that? Or, can a broken vacuum line from the manifold affect Reverse Gear?

Old 06-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by 1977JagwireXJ6
. From what others have said, my oil mark 4 inches above the Cold "Max" mark seems excessive.

Yes, it does. But the ultimate deciding factor is the reading with the engine running and fluid hot.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-26-2018, 10:23 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Interestingly somebody has ground off the cold side and added 65

Not very clear but the fluid is just to the top of the blade, this has been sitting for the last 3-4 weeks without starting

Old 06-27-2018, 06:34 AM

Robman......Now, that is pretty interesting......the last owner ground down the Cold side and stamped "65" on that side. I bet he was getting frustrated with dealing with reading the wrong side when checking levels. Maybe 65 was his code for something.....maybe the first clue to his secrete hidden treasure.

But another example of the fluid being to the top of the blade/near the coiled spring. Again, my fluid must be 2 inches too high. I will use a hand pump to extract it a bit at a time.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts

65 might be the model number of the BW transmission?

Anyone heard from Elinor? Are they okay?

Quick Reply: How to Check Tranny Fluid on Series II XJ6? (Pics)?