XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I find out if 350 conversion will pass emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

RIV:

CA does have a "non-op" option for dormant cars. Twenty bucks. Cheap enough, so OK in that respect. But, in principal, not so much???

CA does place the SMOG inspection responsibility on the seller. In actual practice, probably doe most of the time. Exceptions, I am sure. Example, how would a seller accomplish that on selling an incomplete or inoperable car.

I've read of a means of getting a "friendly" DMV clerk, there are some, to accept a statement of fact plus evidence that the back on fees car, was not on the road, and as such in clear violation. Work order, pictures, etc.

But, enough on "stuff". Polite word for another. On to the cars...

Carl

Old 04-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Smog Inspection

Riddle me this: if an older car passes emissions, why on earth should the state care if all of the original Smog equipment is not exactly as it left the factory decades ago? If it passes, perhaps the missing equipment was in fact not necessary. I've got a 79 xj6 with an LT1 conversion that runs WAY cleaner than any 1979 car, and also passes emissions for the 1994 standards, but there's a few parts that aren't stock. Arrrggghhhhh

Old 04-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmylapas
Riddle me this: if an older car passes emissions, why on earth should the state care if all of the original Smog equipment is not exactly as it left the factory decades ago?

There are surely many different explanations and justifications. I doubt that I'd find any of them sensible.

I'm all 'for' tailpipe testing only

Cheers
DD

Old 04-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

It's because they have an Agenda!
"They" are trying to get all Elderly cars off the road; everything over 8 or 10 years old.
That means we must buy NEW cars every few years when our current car no longer passes, or shell out a train load of money for repairs. How many of us Commoners can spend $80/hr + parts to make a 15 year old car pass? So they get a newer one.

Newest wrinkle: if the Check Engine light isn't on, NO TESTING!
It's a Get Out Of Jail Free card!
It's all a Conspiracy I tell ya!!

OK, I'll go back to my room now and behave myself............
(';')

Old 04-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB

Newest wrinkle: if the Check Engine light isn't on, NO TESTING!
You're joking, right?

Old 04-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

I think what the tester will be looking for is an *operational* Check Engine Light. If the CEL is non-operational it's likely regarded as a 'fail' and they won't bother with the actual testing.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-29-2017, 06:14 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Ah- that makes sense and would also be a fail just about anywhere that does smog testing via the OBD II port.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

California must really be as fabulous a place to live as the brochures would have us believe. Why else would people put up with the beurocratic BS required to live there.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Actually it IS a fabulous place to live!
I deliberately left the Frozen North where every person is a Law unto Themselves to live here.
Everything has its price though, so I'll bite the bullet every couple years and deal with the bureaucracy and be thankful I can support myself. It's hard to make a living where I came from, especially for a GIRL!
(';')

Old 04-30-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, in spite of some, it is a great place to live. But, at times, I feel the need to pack up. Three restraints. Two kids nearby and I'm getting old....

Idiocy. The last test for my lump. I went to the place I've been to for a few times. Ooops, new folks. A ".........." kid came to me and announced that my car had failed the "snap throttle" test and as such would fail. Nuts. I found another shop, sans "snap throttle" and it passed just fine. Just a guv way to flunk an otherwise compliant car. Rev it up, back off quickly, jack up the vacuum get t to smoke just a trifle. Relation to the road, zip!!!

Carl

Old 04-30-2017, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad

Idiocy. The last test for my lump. I went to the place I've been to for a few times. Ooops, new folks. A ".........." kid came to me and announced that my car had failed the "snap throttle" test and as such would fail.

Gah, there's nothing worse than newbies in any sort of regulatory, enforcement, decision-making, or authority position...be it government, corporate, or anywhere else. They haven't yet learned what's important and what isn't. They're trained to go by-the-book. In time, typically, they learn that some things require a firm stance and others things---not so much.

Cheers
DD