XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get to the starter in a series 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to get to the starter in a series 3

Once in a blue moon about every couple months my starter will grind when trying to start. Ill leave it alone for a couple minutes then it starts up normal. I know its at the bottom on the passenger side but before I start digging to it can someone give me some pointers on what I should remove or go about getting to it. I just want to take it out and spray some wd-40 on there, im wondering if there is just gunk built up in it

Old 03-21-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I think you'll find that access is from below. However wait until others more expert than me have replied.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

If you were not so far away, I'd give you the one in my bits shed. It was working just fine in 2001, when the 4.2 in my car suffered a catastrophic failure.

Were I to remove one again, I would open the electrics top side. WR at the relay and the big brown at the firewall post.

I read of an ingenius method by a newbe. He tied a rope around it so the pal could support tit and lower it while he undid the bolts down under.

In typical Jaguar language, assemble in reverse order.

I would plan on rebuild material or replacement on hand at the time of removal.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Jag7651 (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by ahunt4
I know its at the bottom on the passenger side but before I start digging to it can someone give me some pointers on what I should remove or go about getting to it.

Two bolts hold it in, one upper, one lower. The upper one is easily reached from topside. Removing the battery eases the task quite a bit....allows easier access to the top bolt. Lower bolt is easy access from below.

There are some transmission vent tubes alongside the starter. Remove them...or remove the hold-downs so the tubes can be shifted aside and out of the way.

Immediately forward of the starter is the oil pressure sending unit. Consider removing it. Why? The starter is a bit heavy and if it gets away from you it can fall against the oil pressure sending unit....breaking it off at the stem. That'll ruin your day. It has ruined the day of many others before you

There's a spacer ring about 1/8" thick that fits over the end of the starter where it mounts to the engine. Make sure it doesn't fall off and get lost. If it comes down to replacing the starter make sure the rings gets transferred to the replacement starter

That's all I can think of at the moment. It's not a particularly difficult job as starter replacements go.

Cheers
DD

Jag7651 (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok thanks Doug, would you recommend working from top or underneath the car?

Old 03-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by ahunt4
Ok thanks Doug, would you recommend working from top or underneath the car?

Lower bolt from below, upper bolt from above

Cheers
DD

Old 03-21-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

You really should specify the MAKE MODEL YEAR.

If the torque converter drive plate has damaged teeth, a new or repaired starter will have NO EFFECT.

I have removed the drive plate and rotated it 180 degrees to have the starter engage in different places to get some more life from the old one with damaged teeth.

When the engine is shut down it normally stops in one of 3 places (just short of TDC on any cylinder, 3 pairs of two).

If you swap it 180 degrees, it will stop in 3 DIFFERENT places and hopefully in places without damaged teeth.

There are ONLY 2 ways to install the drive plate as the 2 dowel holes are slightly different than the bolt holes.
(this is assuming Borg Warner 65/66 AUTO gearbox)

bob gauff

Last edited by motorcarman; 03-21-2015 at 05:18 PM.
LnrB (03-21-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Slick. Never heard of tat or even imagined it. Done in situ r requires disassembly?

I have heard of cleaning burred teeth with a hard file. Probably works if they are not real bad or even missing!! I would have thought that they are harder that and resist a
mere file. Stone required???

Now, a time back I saw piece on reversing the motor of a WWII Studebaker 6x6 in the wilds of Alaska. Powered by a flat head big six popular in trucks of the day?
Hercules??? He heated the ring gear, then drove it off the big fly wheel. Then head it again and replaced it in reverse order. Thus presting the bck side of the teeth to the starter.

And, a jaguar guy with a home grown manual shift unit. Not finding a wheel to replace the battered one in his car, he found a way to fix it. A competent machinist put it in lathe , cut off all the teeth, machined a way and found a proper gear to press on.

As a kid, I knew some that were crazier than others. One thought it fun to press the starter button in a very tired old 34 Ford coupe. Soon, toothless. Push starts only!!

I got it after a fix. Not by me. A guy swapped in an engine with a starter that worked. Oh, a trade off. it had a cracked block. Frequent oil changes required. No problem, I worked in a service station. Plenty of used oil was there and worked just fine.

even raced it on a desert track against other junky cars. alas, the car quality became much better as well as the drivers. I retired!!

Carl

Carl