Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   I Found a Resistor Inline with my Temp Gauge? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/i-found-resistor-inline-my-temp-gauge-164956/)

Harry Dredge 06-24-2016 11:25 PM

I Found a Resistor Inline with my Temp Gauge?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I just found this inline with my temp gauge? Is this meant to be there? Seems like a method to make it look like the car is not overheating to me?

Has anyone else found one of these?

Harry

Doug 06-25-2016 01:01 AM

Never seen one in that location.

Jaguar did install in-line resistors on some cars, between the sending unit and the wire. I've never seen any pattern so I always sorta assumed that the last guy on the assembly line always had a few in his pocket and installed 'em on any car that was showing a slightly too high temp reading !

Cheers
DD

yarpos 06-25-2016 05:01 AM

Before I got too concerned I would get an infra red temp reader (cheap and handy) and measure the thermostat housing and compare it with the gauge reading, if roughly the same tuck the resistor in and forget it.

I did a bit of this when I got my car, I didnt trust any of the guages. In the end they were all dead on.

Roger Mabry 06-25-2016 08:07 AM

I added one on my S1 to make the new V8 temps "look" correct

The Chevrolet V8 LT1 runs at much hotter temps than a Jaguar engine... to make the gauge "look normal" I added a resistor into the new line... now the gauge reads correctly on the Jaguar gauge and matches the temp reading on the scanner hooked up to the engine. This was on the now sold '72 LT1/700R and it never overheated or ran hot.

JagCad 06-26-2016 12:34 PM

True. Well as to a healthy 4.2. Mine got really hot and it wasn't til just before it breathed it's last that the temp guage went past normal. Too late...

Yes, my LT! reads at about 100C. Some counsel a lower thermostat to run cooler. More power!! Naah, the guys at GM are pretty smart.
so for day to day, as built is fine.

I do have a IFR. Mebbe one of these days I'll mess with it.

Days off for a bit. My swap from ATT to Xfinity triple play sapped me a bit.

Carl

Harry Dredge 06-28-2016 03:38 AM

Ah, good points. Interesting that they have been found like this haha, although i assume wrong senders installed and adjusted well after the cars birth, I can't really by into the production line idea :P I'm too scared it might be true haha.

I was having trouble with the gauge so I pulled it all to bits, which is how I found it.

I tested everything other then the sender, and its all working, so I've assumed its the sender and swapped it out.

Interestingly enough I've already had this new sender installed before.
I took it out because it was reading way too low.

This sort of makes sense with the resistor.

Maybe someone installed a slightly wrong sender and then adjusted with the resistor, and thus when I put the "correct" (I hope) sender in it reads low.

Ill update when I take her for a drive, being a project car it doesn't go out a lot but I'll try remember.

Thanks for the input people!