Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   I would love to know the selling price. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/i-would-love-know-selling-price-213753/)

o1xjr 02-08-2019 03:00 AM

I would love to know the selling price.

This car first appreared for sale 2 years ago at All British Day for over 25k AUD. The price has been dropping ever since.
It has a bare metal resto by Mike Roddy, (Australian members will know the quality). More than 50k spent and I saw the reciepts.

Motor Sports | Mike Roddy Motors

These cars are not worth as much as a lot of people would like to believe.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...e87a85c6c4.jpg

Doug 02-08-2019 09:16 AM

They're not investment grade cars; little chance of recouping major expenses....which can make them a real bargain to the right buyer on the used car market. Want a pristine old XJ6? Let someone else spend a ton of money and then, a year or two later, you buy the finished car at 25-cents on the dollar !

Cheers
DD

JagCad 02-08-2019 10:22 AM

For sure !!!

1. The ultimate test is "what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller". All else not relevant rrevelant!!

2. Values differ in the eyes of a seller as to any buyer.

3. I am well aware that I nor my heirs will ever recover the $'s I've spent on my 83!

But, so what !! I took it to market yesterday. It fired right up and idled at a bout 100o, then settled down to a smooth 500. On with the fan switch and after a caoule of minutes, warm air came from the vents. Very welcome. Cold!!

Along the way, I've a right turn to make. Gotta watch for the traffic coming off the freeway to my left. usually fast!! So, no dawdle as I decide to go right. The LT1 pulls strong on the right turn. I'm in the clear fast !!!

Carl

LnrB 02-08-2019 11:25 AM

That's how I got my car in 2013.
PO had spent in excess of $30 000 on "restoration" and stuff in 1986-- $6000 on leather alone (I have paperwork)!
He Never did maintenance, Ever, so by the time husband bought it for me, for a Fraction of asking, a LOT of work needed done before she was even safe to drive on the open road (especially the way I drive)!

Someone asked me a couple hears ago what I would take for her as she sat right then and there, I said offhand, "Maybe ten." I could see the wheels turning if anyone in that group could come up with that kind of cash right then. It was a moot point as I wasn't ready to part with her anyway,

As Carl says, Right Person, Right Time.
(';')

Doug 02-08-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 2024943)

Along the way, I've a right turn to make. Gotta watch for the traffic coming off the freeway to my left. usually fast!! So, no dawdle as I decide to go right. The LT1 pulls strong on the right turn. I'm in the clear fast !!!

That's the way to do it. Drive. Don't dawdle. :)

I'm not talking about aggressive driving and I'm sure you're not, either. But indecisive, timid, slow-poke drivers present a danger just as much as reckless speed-demons do.

Cheers
DD

The Mekon 02-09-2019 03:12 AM

Not sure where this one was advertised, I may have missed it. So often these higher priced XJs turn out to be just a bit of cosmetic restoration. Not saying this one is as I do not recall seeing it on the listings I check. Many cars have a nice paint job and not much else, their engine bays are as mess of non standard parts, rust and grease. I am not spending too much on my current series 1 rebuild - just enough to ensure it drives well and is reliable. My biggest single outlay so far is $320 for a full set of rear shocks. The exterior paint will just have to stay the way it is, a bit scratched and worn.

Doug 02-09-2019 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Mekon (Post 2025258)
So often these higher priced XJs turn out to be just a bit of cosmetic restoration.

"Restoration" is thrown around loosely...sometimes unscrupulously .... and means different things to different people.

Cheers
DD

sov211 02-09-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 2024979)
That's the way to do it. Drive. Don't dawdle. :)

I'm not talking about aggressive driving and I'm sure you're not, either. But indecisive, timid, slow-poke drivers present a danger just as much as reckless speed-demons do.

Cheers
DD

Correct, and they often present more danger. Rounding a curve at the legal 110 kmph and finding a semi-somnolent driver doing 80 kmph in the passing lane in his/her Toyota is lethal (and yes, it has happened to me). The easy mantra "speed kills", used to justify artificially low speed limits, completely ignores the fact that in a modern car 150 kmph or more is perfectly safe...if everyone else is travelling at a similar speed; it is the differential in speed (as above: 110 vs 80 kmph) that is dangerous.

o1xjr 02-10-2019 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Mekon (Post 2025258)
Not sure where this one was advertised, I may have missed it.

It was for sale at the last two ABD's in Brisbane, but also been apearring on guntree and carsales every few weeks for just a day or two here and there. I get gumtree notifications when anything XJ6 is listed within 500km of me but it was often gone by the time I looked.

It may not really be sold this time either, it's about the third time it has said sold.

It is the real deal, everything done with no exspens spared. It has reverse lights and rego plate light from my stash of parts since I had 3 good sets at one point so I offered them up to sort the only thing I could see wrong with the car.