Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Interesting Day Cutting Metal Patch pieces (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/interesting-day-cutting-metal-patch-pieces-167951/)

davidboger 08-21-2016 06:01 PM

Interesting Day Cutting Metal Patch pieces

Interesting day today working with some cut pieces. I was hoping to get some good A post pieces for a client, and another wanted a top to get rid of an aftermarket sunroof on a Series 2.
Some photos of what I started and ended with...
The insulation in the channels on the A post and C post on the Series 2 are interesting, I don't think I've seen them filled like that on the Series 3.
A couple of photos show the differences in the Series 2 & 3 A post. I had never realized there was a metal tube in place for the rubber sunroof water drain tube, but there is one buried in the A post...
A lot of metal work in these cars...........

davidboger 08-21-2016 06:04 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Photos didn't post.. Here they are..
What I started with and where the day ended (about 3 hrs)...

alynmurray 08-21-2016 09:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I would bet that as years go buy you will get orders for the same type of panel I bought from you a few years ago. See pics Worked great!!

LnrB 08-21-2016 10:11 PM

David, this is Fascinating!!
Thanks so much!
(';')

yarpos 08-22-2016 12:58 AM

What did you do today at work dear?

Oh, I sliced up some Jaguars.

Oh, that's nice

Daf11e 08-22-2016 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by yarpos (Post 1520772)
What did you do today at work dear?

Oh, I sliced up some Jaguars.

Oh, that's nice

I'd have to say jaguar "cars" or she'd think I'm really mad!

JagCad 08-22-2016 05:47 AM

Yes, David's necropsies are so informative.

Mrs. Boger is quite familiar with sliced and diced Jaguar at their homestead.

Ever seen his scalpel??? A tool to behold....

I'm figuring out a patch for a slightly "ripped" 7" head lamp bucket.
Older fiber glass patch rules out welding. Not big enough to invest in more glass stuff. Pop rivet in a piece or form one with JB ? Minor knicks dollied out. One layer of primer on the exterior.

Whirligig flying Mallard refurb about 2/3 done. Fixed band saw helped make a new "pillow" block for one wing. Actually a two blade propeller. Model A engine enamel and white look correct. The former a grey green.

Wrestling with getting me resub'd to J-L. Whew, old tech not always good tech....

Carl

Carl

jagent 08-22-2016 05:03 PM

Interesting article David!
I may be drawing a long bow here, but I've always felt that the doors on my S3 close with a very slight "clang" sound (nothing to do with the cow bells, I've silenced those) rather than the dull "thunk" I had expected, especially after owning an X300 which definitely had the latter sound. The doors do close solidly and it could be my expectations of the sound are askew, but now I'm thinking that if the S3 doesn't have insulation in the pillars, I wonder if this alters the door shuts?

Of course I may have been inhaling something unwittingly, and this is all a nonsense, but it did get me wondering...

ronbros 08-23-2016 06:21 PM

gotta love jaguar for stuffing that foam into many closed compartments, great for noise reduction!

but after some years it get moist or wet,holds the wet sponge against the raw metal, WAHLAH rust from inside out, and no easy way to fix it!

must be Englands way for rapid vehicle recycle programs?

Napoleon Solo 08-23-2016 10:27 PM

Pretty handy with that sawzall David!