Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag or Daimler, an emotive question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Jag or Daimler, an emotive question

hi all,
perhaps a dumb question ( I'm new to the Jag ( or Daimler should I say in context with this submission) as a classic not just my wife's transport).
what is the real difference between Jags and Daimlers? Now I understand they are practically identical ( badge engineered) cars but the point of this question is not to identify minor cosmetic differences but rather to get to the subtle heart of the two brands.
Obviously Leyland believed that marketing XJ as the two different cars would Increases sales and profits but often when manufacturers use technique the logic is obvious if not less cynical, to point Morris Major for the masses, Wolsley for the more discerning, MG Magnette for the sporting executive etc. Yet the difference between Jaguat and Daimler seems far more subtle.
so I guess the question is:
What was the ratio of Jags to Daimlers sold?
Was one or the other inherently more desirable when new?
Was one more expensive when new?
Were Jags marketed to a more sporting potential buyer and were Daimlers aimed more towards a staid clientele?
Were either client considered more discerning?
Was Daimler ( erroneously) considered more bespoke?
Did they come with different standard equipment levels ?
Was there any real seperation of the marques in the show room or was the choice of a Jaguar or Daimler given no more gravity than ticking the desired colour in the paint code box on the order form in the salesman's office?
is there a price premium today?
After the passage of nearly half a century with our cars hovering between banger and classic status is there any perceived difference between the two? I bought the Daimler not for brand but because of the car
Can I refer to the new Doble Six as a big cat without committing a terminal faux pas.
Can I park the Daimler next to my Jags without risking a 'cat fight', alienation, segregation, victimisation, ostracisation or humiliation. The last thing I need is Daimler with an inferiority complex, a jaguar with an identity crisis or all three suffering an emotional crisis or entering a catatonic trance

regards in humour but also in genuine interest.
all

all

Old 01-28-2018, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Daimlers, broadly speaking, were high-spec Jaguars. Yes, more expensive and more exclusive as a result.

It isn't all that simple, though. Many Jaguars were outfitted to Daimler spec or nearly so ...but badged and sold as Jaguars because of legalities regarding use of the name "Daimler". In North America these cars were often badged "Jaguar Vanden Plas" although in other markets Jaguar marketed a Daimler Vanden Plas model as well, generally the creme-de-la-creme of the offerings along with the the Double Six which I think was outfitted to the same level

The models and equipment levels offered by Jaguar over the decades is a bit complicated and varied hugely by market. To really get the full picture you'd need to bring other models into the conversation: Sovereign, Executive, Majestic.

Others will chime in with more

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Alan Lindsay (01-28-2018), Jag7651 (01-28-2018), Robert Wilkinson (01-28-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:10 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Doug has covered it well.

My experience with S2 Jag and Daimler is:

The Daimlers had more insulation material in the boot and dash area, and I mean LOTS more.
The carpets were of a better quality.
Seat leather "felt" better and more "leathery" if that makes sense.
The dash timber was a darker, matched Burl.
Leather steering wheel.

Apart from the above, and then the bits I have forgot about, they were the same.

The Daimlers were always QUIETER, and that I do remember.

As for S1 and S3 etc, and later stuff, NO IDEA. We had 2 S2 Daimlers, and too many S2 Jags. The Son had a S3 Sov, and that was speced fairly close to the S2 Daimler, and thats about it I think.

The following users liked this post:
Alan Lindsay (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Where I come from Daimler was always regarded as the gentleman's club on wheels aimed at CEO's (perhaps chauffeur driven) and similar high ranker's who didn't stretch to Rollers. Jaguar for slightly lesser mortals who preferred the thrill of driving themselves.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagent:
Alan Lindsay (01-29-2018), Grant Francis (01-30-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:22 PM

Thanks for your input
of course I am referring to our XJ Jags/ Daimlers not the distinct Daimler cars and limousines .
any other thoughts, facts or anecdotes greatly appreciated
Al

Old 01-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

the Daimler versions of Jaguar were targeted at an older customer base.

The following users liked this post:
Alan Lindsay (01-29-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 01:00 PM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

When Jaguar acquired Daimler in 1960, they wanted the manufacturing space. They also acquired the full Daimler business - including military vehicles, 'buses and existing Daimler cars. Some continued in production, some were dropped. Some components were adapted for Jaguar use. The Daimler 2 1/2 litre V8 was used in the Jaguar Mark 2 body to extend it's appeal to a different type of customer, the Daimler name was eventually dropped and that could have had an effect on the current value of said vehicles.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Default Jag Mk2 v Daimler

Hi,
so what type of customer preferred the 2.5 Daimler and who the Jag?
which was more expensive?
was there much price difference between the 3.4 and 3.8?
how did the Daimlers mini V8 compare to the bigger sixes regarding performance ,reliability etc?
as a pommie bike owner (Triumph Bonnie, trident) I'm rather interested in Edward Turner's designs
​​​​​​​al

Old 02-04-2018, 02:13 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Alan,

The Daimler 2.5 V8 impressed the Jaguar engineers when they sampled the Daimler SP250 (Daimler Dart) two door sports car.

To this day that daimler engine is the only engine to be fitted to a Jaguar that was not designed / engineered / tinkered with by Jaguar engineers.

Badge engineering was born with the Daimler 2.5 in the Jaguar Mk2 bodyshell.

Daimler cars were always pitched to older well heeled gentlemen who liked luxury, comfort and pace rather than brash, outright speed. (Not saying that Jaguar filled this brief at all)

Daimlers cost more than the Jaguar equivalent, but then, comfort levels were a little higher.

Many 2.5 V8's have the front reclining seats and armrests built into the seats as well.

To this day many experts agree that the walnut timber veneer in the Daimler 2.5 V8 was of better quality and finish that the regular Jaguar Mk2's even though there is nothing noted to this effect by the Jaguar Motor Car Company.

The Daimler 2.5 V8 was almost on par with the 3.4 performance wise. It ate the 2.4 for breakfast. I note that it produced 140BHP and had the grunt of a typical V8 motor.

Where it differed though was in the handling. The 2.5 V8 was a lighter unit than the Iron Block 6 of the Jag, so the steering was lighter and the handling not as understeering as the Mk 2's.

It is widely accepted that the Daimler 2.5 V8 was a very polished engineering product which proved to be very reliable for its' day.

I hope this clarifies some of the points that you set out to discuss.

Cheers,

Nigel

The following 3 users liked this post by Jag-o-nomic:
Alan Lindsay (02-04-2018), Doug (02-08-2018), littlelic69 (02-07-2018)