XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced starter. Won't start. Might have pulled a hose Series 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replaced starter. Won't start. Might have pulled a hose Series 2

So when attempting to start, I got a loud ringing metal sound. Was told by multiple sources it was the starter, so I replaced it. Now when I try to start, no more loud ding, but nothing else. It's a brand new battery, so it's not that. There's a hose I didn't notice until after I installed the new one. Pic attached. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Replaced starter. Won't start. Might have pulled a hose Series 2-dsc_0095.jpg  
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 PM
Received 10,308 Likes on 6,819 Posts

OK.

Terminology clarification is needed.

NOT STARTING, means the engine rotates with teh starter, but fails to fire.

NO CRANKING, means the starter does nothing, or maybe a "click" but NO rotation of the engine.

Very different reasons for either failure.

I am assuming the second for some bizzare reason.

That hose, or any hose for that matter will not prevent the starter from engaging and rotating the engine.

There is a heavy-ish White/Red stripe wire that travels down the rear of the engine bay FROM the starter relay, TO the solenoid on the starter. It has a spade joiner part way down its travels, (just near the brake booster on our RHD cars) and that spade joiner is so easy to seperate, thus rendering starter activity to zero.

I am also assuming the gear lever is in P or N, or else the neautral start switch will block starter activity.

ALL my S2 6cyl cars that starter "ching" on release, and I never worried about it specifically, it was an interesting talking point sometimes. It is a "lazy" pinion return spring and slide that is the culprit. Once that is lubed with powdered graphite, all silent.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Curiousity got me. I saw this on my laptop yesterday. but, it's limitions did not permit me to zoom on the picture. Much less type on it balanced on my lap!!

I see the unattached hose My one guess and it is only a guess is that it is a vacuum hose and attaches under the intake manifold.

So, if the new starter cranks the engine and it will not fire, it is because of this huge vacuum leak. I used Grant's terminology for clarity.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (08-14-2017)