XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar XJC Coupe 1976 (no engine and no gearbox)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XJC Coupe 1976 (no engine and no gearbox)

Dear Friends,

I have an option to buy an old XJC from abroad for 2500£, however gearbox and engine are missing in the car.

I have been looking to buy 4 doors XJ6 Series 2 on eBay hoping that engine and gearbox could be then used in my XJC but Series 2 cars are pricely and it would be expensive to use them as donor ...

Would you be able to advise which ‘cheap’ car I could buy in order to use it as a donor for my XJC?

Many thanks !

Old 04-07-2018, 10:29 PM
Default XJC drive gear

Hi Maxiv:
I am surprised that you haven't found a cheap donor yet. I expect that a usable motored one would cost anywhere from $ 1500 to $ 3000. in S.E.Q.
Any 4.2 motor and box from Series 1 through 2 would be fine .Series 3 would be great, but the controls could make the installation unworth the effort.
I hope that you have considered the need for Transport Aust. approval prior to purchase, and the current need for asbestos free certification, which cost has burnt many importers.
I imported an XJC from UK some years ago, and was prepared for significant corrosion repair.( quite normal ).I expect you have allowed for this.
You could also fit a 3.8 set from earlier models, Mk 2 and S type and be happy with the result, after all, the first E-Type was a 3.8., albeit with triple carb assembly.
A completed XJC is a great car, so you could consider fitting a manual T5 conversion instead of the auto box., if you have the facilities.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:22 AM

Hi James,

Many thanks for your reply.

This XJC has been stripped down (dashboard removed) and is ready for blasting and welding. Car body is not in the best condition as the car was left outside for many years and it looks that it was already used as a donor to another XJC. Anyway if I could repair and spray the body for around 3-4000£ then on top of that I would need to add cost of a donor vehicle for engine, interrior and box.

I am thinking that the most reasonable would be to buy XJ6 Series 2 (price in the UK around 3500£) and use it as a donor. From your message I understood that it would be straightforward to swap the engine and the gearbox + move the interior from one car to another?

With regards to the manual gearbox. Do I need to buy some specific gearbox? If yes, from which old car manual box would fit to XJC? Is there not going to be a problem to connect the box with the 4.2l engine from Series 2?

How about using an egine and box from some newer Jaguar produced around 1995 (they are much cheaper) but I am not sure if parts from this car would fit?

Many many thanks for your help !!!

Old 04-08-2018, 04:36 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesbrimar
Hi Maxiv:
I am surprised that you haven't found a cheap donor yet. I expect that a usable motored one would cost anywhere from $ 1500 to $ 3000. in S.E.Q.
Any 4.2 motor and box from Series 1 through 2 would be fine .Series 3 would be great, but the controls could make the installation unworth the effort.
I hope that you have considered the need for Transport Aust. approval prior to purchase, and the current need for asbestos free certification, which cost has burnt many importers.
I imported an XJC from UK some years ago, and was prepared for significant corrosion repair.( quite normal ).I expect you have allowed for this.
You could also fit a 3.8 set from earlier models, Mk 2 and S type and be happy with the result, after all, the first E-Type was a 3.8., albeit with triple carb assembly.
A completed XJC is a great car, so you could consider fitting a manual T5 conversion instead of the auto box., if you have the facilities.
Welcome to the forums "jamesbrimar". Please post an intro in the new member area for a warm welcome.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/

Old 05-13-2018, 06:50 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're interested in the V12... maybe find a good running XJS. They seem to be plentiful in America for $1500-$2500 in running/driving condition. There were some late XJS 6.0L V12 cars that had a Getrag (I think) 5 speed trans. There was a wrecked one I almost bought as a transplant for my XJC for $2000 recently, but I didn't act fast enough.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:13 AM
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxiv
Dear Friends,

I have an option to buy an old XJC from abroad for 2500£, however gearbox and engine are missing in the car.

I have been looking to buy 4 doors XJ6 Series 2 on eBay hoping that engine and gearbox could be then used in my XJC but Series 2 cars are pricely and it would be expensive to use them as donor ...

Would you be able to advise which ‘cheap’ car I could buy in order to use it as a donor for my XJC?

Many thanks !
I am using a 1994 XJS suspension and a 1996 AJ16s with Getrag 290 5spd.
For my XJC .
So far the only thing I will have to make myself is the trans mount. Just buy an XJS with an AJ16 and you will have all the parts you need and then some!

Look at post below for Great information on this topic

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2017-a-184891/

Rusty

Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxiv
Hi James,

Many thanks for your reply.

This XJC has been stripped down (dashboard removed) and is ready for blasting and welding. Car body is not in the best condition as the car was left outside for many years and it looks that it was already used as a donor to another XJC. Anyway if I could repair and spray the body for around 3-4000£ then on top of that I would need to add cost of a donor vehicle for engine, interrior and box.

I am thinking that the most reasonable would be to buy XJ6 Series 2 (price in the UK around 3500£) and use it as a donor. From your message I understood that it would be straightforward to swap the engine and the gearbox + move the interior from one car to another?

With regards to the manual gearbox. Do I need to buy some specific gearbox? If yes, from which old car manual box would fit to XJC? Is there not going to be a problem to connect the box with the 4.2l engine from Series 2?

How about using an egine and box from some newer Jaguar produced around 1995 (they are much cheaper) but I am not sure if parts from this car would fit?

Many many thanks for your help !!!
if your located in the US I have a 75 xj6L factory 4.2 engine auto trans I would sell

Old 06-10-2018, 03:05 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Your XJC sounds ripe for an EV conversion. I have decided to convert my SWB XJ6 to full electric. I have another car to finish first but I'm really looking forward to digging into it.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure you buy a SWB donor unless you already have the right proshaft. Also be aware of the different seats van door carts. Silly idea from me. Have you thought putting in a X100 XKR engine? That would be sick.