Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Just bought an '88 XJ6, lots of questions.... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/just-bought-88-xj6-lots-questions-3906/)

Zippo 01-16-2008 05:14 PM

Just bought an '88 XJ6, lots of questions....

ok, so i just bought this amazing XJ6. I have all of the original paperwork on it, i am the fourth owner, and i have every receipt for every service that has ever been done to it since new up until 2004. the leather on the ionside is like new, it just needed some light conditioning. and the exterior only has a couple "bad" spots. some minor paintchips, a couple medium size rust spots (which are not visible until you open the trunk lid) and one dull spot where the sun has flaked the clear coat. it did need a battery when i bought it, so i put a red top optima in it. afterwards it started right up and i drove it home. now the only mechanical things that it needed when in bought it was a powersteering pump, a brake booster and maybe a master cylinder. other than that it seemed fine. So i gave the owner $600, and drove it home, all of three blocks away lol. i have recently learned from my mechanic friend that everything runs off of the pressure that the power steering pump (crank driven from the block? is it?). so i may not have to replace the power booster and the master cylinder. Anyways, onto my questions;

1. is that true? do i only need to replace the PS Pump? you can p[ut fluid in it, but it wont hold it, it seems to pour out. i havent put any in yet, cause it only seems like a waste of money to watch it hit the ground.

2. the master cylinder resevoir doesnt seem to be losing any fluid, yet there is tons of "dried fluid and gunk" around the lines and under/on the booster.

3. i replaced the spark plugs today to bosch +4's PT & IR. i only did this because it was starting to misfire really bad. i ordered the plug wires afterwards because it is still mis firing, and i will be picking them up in the A.M. the one thing that bothers me about the mis fire is that at idle, its not really that bad. if i put a little bit of pressure on the gas, it is fine, but if i put even a gradual pressure down on the pedal it seems to "drown" in gas and stalls out. In gear its a totally different story, if i want to back up or go foward ican only breathe on the pedal, otherwise it stalls. will changing the plug wires fix this issue, or is it my injectors? i really hope that it isnt cause i have been told that i should only get those from the dealership, and who knows how much that will set me back. and on another note about the mis-fire, the RPM gauge "bounces" around while it idles, and even while its in gear, which it didnt do when i first bought it. it functioned properly.

other than that i cant really think of anything else right now. i figured that i was getting a great deal, which i still believe i did, cause i am willing to spend $1000 - $1500 on parts for it and making it last. the engine was, in its most basic form of being done, rebuilt, in 2004. there are new pistons, rings, valves, springs, etc. the transmission was also rebuilt. torqu converter, gears, and so on.

here are some pics, enjoy. and any help on the diagnosis would be much appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2906/5198841D4A84403795C482A6233E29D2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2906/1CFF466EADBC4EC28AC6B2E697215740.jpg[/IMG]

Zippo 01-16-2008 05:32 PM

Forgot to mention

i forgot to mention that a couple days after i bought it it started to misfire, but i was really low on gas and figured that because it sat for a couple months there was water in the tank, so i filled it up and put a bottle of dry gas in it and everything seemed to be fine. after driving about 150 miles after that happened, all hell seemed to break loose. i was just under a half a tank of gas and it started to mis-fire again. so i analized the situation, and realized that it wouldnt do it if i only put a little bit of pressure on the pedal. anyways, it takes forever to get to 40 MPH when doing that, but once i got to about 50 MPH, i could floor it and it wouldnt drown, and it wouldnt misfire at all. quite frankly, it would take off like a bat out of hell, like a jag is supposed to. anyways, i just thought that this might aid in a proper diagnosis.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2906/04E83CBF4AEB44308DDD9AEF62AC9C39.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2906/A7518FE9783F4DB38F469C305C72D615.jpg[/IMG]

Zippo 01-16-2008 05:33 PM

more pics

more pictures, it is a beautiful car, i just wish i could drive it lol

[IMG]local://upfiles/2906/DD3922B84EEC49FEA05326F5C306A794.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2906/A48120BEF7C443AEB04AD0833D1E41BD.jpg[/IMG]

Cadillac 01-16-2008 05:37 PM

RE: more pics

Welcome !
I just noticed this thread so please post your next questions to the XJ40 forum thus I believe you can get more help as well as response ;)

Zippo 01-16-2008 05:52 PM

thanx, i just thought posting it here would be correct because its an xj6. is there any way i can move the thread to the other section? or can a mod do it?

Cadillac 01-16-2008 05:55 PM

Hey Zippo ,this forum section is for Series III Jags . You can't move this but mods can do it . My recommendation for ya is that on the main page see "General Tech Help" and post your inquiries,issues I believe you will get more help :)