Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Just want to confirm Something AC Compressor (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/just-want-confirm-something-ac-compressor-220441/)

muttony 07-13-2019 07:12 AM

Just want to confirm Something AC Compressor

Putting the AC back in. I replaced the AC with a new 4Seasons 58096. I kept all original Harrison bolts and brackets and replaced them exactly. I include in this the AC adjuster bar/screw. I did not change it after taking it out. I put it all back in. Now the AC comrpessor does not turn by hand with the belt ON. I think this is probably correct since the whole engine would need to turn with the belt on. Just looking for confirmation. The belt deflection looks and feels fine.

yachtmanbuttson 07-13-2019 07:21 AM

Not to sound sophomoric, but the compressor has a clutch that "picks" when the A/C is called for. So, the compressor should turn freely with the engine off. Possibly the low and high side plugs are still in the compressor? Have you connected up the barrier hoses and connections yet?

Doug 07-13-2019 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by muttony (Post 2098221)
Now the AC comrpessor does not turn by hand with the belt ON. I think this is probably correct since the whole engine would need to turn with the belt on. Just looking for confirmation.

Confirmed, Sort of.

With the belt tightened you can't rotate the compressor pulley by hand. Friction from the belt tension prevents doing so.

Try turning the drive plate by hand. With the compressor clutch disengaged you should be able to turn it....although I've never tried doing so. Might depend on the amount of natural drag between the clutch and the drive plate.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...6af4674abd.jpg
In this pic you see, from the to right, the drive plate, pulley and clutch, and clutch coil

Cheers
DD

muttony 07-13-2019 09:35 AM

I haven't connected the hoses yet. I d realizes that the clutch needs to be engaged for the compressor to work, What I am getting at is that the pulley doesn't move. If you haven't seen a 4Seasons Compressor before, the clutch is hidden. I am looking to find out if that pulley/wheel whatever it is called should turn or if the adjustment is too tight. Should I be able to rotate the pulley irrespective of the clutch?

Doug 07-13-2019 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by muttony (Post 2098280)
I haven't connected the hoses yet. I d realizes that the clutch needs to be engaged for the compressor to work, What I am getting at is that the pulley doesn't move. If you haven't seen a 4Seasons Compressor before, the clutch is hidden. I am looking to find out if that pulley/wheel whatever it is called should turn or if the adjustment is too tight. Should I be able to rotate the pulley irrespective of the clutch?

If the belt is properly tensioned you should NOT be able to turn the pulley by hand. Similarly, the alternator, water pump, and power steering pulleys do not spin by hand if the belt is installed and tightened

Cheers
DD

sanchez 07-13-2019 09:41 AM

If the belt is connected to the AC pulley, you will not be able to turn it by hand because it is now going to be driven by the crankshaft pulley,.
Prior to installing the belt, did you check to see if the pulley turned freely.
When you turn the AC on, a magnetic field is created and the magnet draws the AC clutch inwards. The pulley now turns the clutch which is connected to the innards of the compressor.
If you are going to use R134a, and you are using the OEM expansion valve, you will have to use an Allen key to adjust it for maximum cooling. There is an expansion valve that is already preset for R134a. I will get the specs for you sometime over this weekend.
Barrier hoses are also an important part of the equation. Also green O-rings.

muttony 07-13-2019 09:42 AM

I've answered my own question. For posterity's sake. there is a cover held on with 3 8mm bolts over the clutch. Can't see the clutch with the plate on. If you take the plate off, you can reach in and turn the compressor by hand. This is on a 4Seasons aluminum replacement compressor.

muttony 07-13-2019 09:56 AM

Thanks Sanchez. I replaced the expansion valve with a r134a one. That's already in. Hoping to finish and charge it today. This has turned harder than I thought it would be from parts perspective. Ordered a wrong Hot side adapter and then couldn't find a local store that stocked one. Ended up getting one of those adapters that screws over the old fitting but I also replaced the old schraeder as well.

yachtmanbuttson 07-15-2019 07:16 AM

I have found the Coldhose.com people really easy to deal with. Lots of A/C connectors, barrier hoses, etc. etc.