XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob issue

When I got my 96 XJ12 home after purchasing it, I watch a video on YOUTUBE on how to set up the key fobs. I did exactly what the guy in the video did and both of them worked fine. When wife uses that car two weeks later and now I cannot set the key fobs and the trunk lid light stays on. The manaul states to take it to the dealer but I am sure one of you folks knows how to fix this.

My wife told me that she thought that my Jag key fob worked like my Hyundai Genesis key fob. My daughter told me that my wife was button mashing the key fob the day that it stopped working properly. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Interesting little critters. I prefer the simplicity of a key!

My Jeep has one that works on occasion. When I first got it, it was dormant. it became a TV watching sidebar. I managed to get it open. Woops, innards spilled. Luckily not lost.
two little flat cell batteries!! Logic told me to replace them. More TV side time as I messed with where the little spring leaf went and the order of the batteries. Series or parallel?? At last, I got it together. Then my Jeep manual had a section as to how to program it. Yahoo, it worked for a while. The thing has two buttons. One, open and the other close!! I put a dot of white out to denote the open button. Kinds fun for a while. But, alas, did I mess up? Batteries down again and only works when it pleases??

Second anecdote. Some years ago, my daughter bought a nice little VW Passat AWD wagon. her friends refer to it as her space ship. The dealer installed an after market alarm. Oh me, something else to go wrong and mess up other stuff. Takes two fobs to open the doors!!! A month ago, the thing quit and is in her drive. Well, she called me to tell me she couldn't get the doors open. She didn't realize the key would open the doors!!! She thought the two fob thing was the only way in. Battery low. A jump should do it. Then a charge. then why did it quit, but would run again??? Been getting too close to a Jaguar ignition amplifier?

Twisted humour. I've always had one, but Jaguar stewardship has exacerbated it big time.

Carl

Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad

[...]

then why did it quit, but would run again??? Been getting too close to a Jaguar ignition amplifier?

Twisted humour. I've always had one, but Jaguar stewardship has exacerbated it big time.

Carl
Carl, they broke the mold after you.
(';')