Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Leaky Gas Tank? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/leaky-gas-tank-169178/)

baudrate 09-12-2016 11:41 AM

Leaky Gas Tank?

If its not one thing, it's another... We took the car out for a nice drive Friday night, went bowling, drive-in for dinner. We also stopped off to fill the tanks.

Saturday morning arrives and the garage is full of gas fumes. Sure enough, there's a small puddle under the passenger tank. ARRRGGHH! Why doesn't this happen when the tanks are mostly empty? No, it has to be when I have $60 of non-ethanol premium in it! I have a drive and car show with the British Car Club this weekend, I don't want to have to deal with a rusty tank right now. (Or ever!)

I go get a 5 gallon gas can and an 'ez syphon' hose. Of course, the wife just filled her car, so can't put it there, but my daughter was happy to get some free gas. About 10 gallons into it, I realize that since the PO had joined the tanks, I'm actually draining both. After a while of poking around, and grumbling, I figured I could pinch the one hose off with some vice grips so the other tank didn't drain back in. Then more syphoning.

I got down to where I couldn't get anymore out and thought I'd leave it at that. But, when I drove it to church Sunday, it was still dripping. I decided to just pull the drain plug and drain the rest out that way. When I went to loosen it, I noticed it was already a little loose. hmmm... I tightened it, and the leak is gone! WHEW! After all that, it was just a loose plug!

Lesson : always check the easy things first.

jagent 09-12-2016 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by baudrate (Post 1533713)
... Lesson : always check the easy things first....

Strange how most of us still ignore that mantra!! Good result in the end though.

LnrB 09-12-2016 11:22 PM

Doncha just Love the easy ones?
Doncha wish they were all this easy?
(';')

JagCad 09-13-2016 08:39 AM

How very true, in lot of things other than Jaguars and the like.

I try to remember that in my various endeavours. It often works!!!

But, not for my TV. I decided it's done for. Local shop opines up to 4300 to fix??? Nope, not gonna happen.

New one on the way, early birthday from daughter !!! Another VIZIO.
Only TV that is USA made. But, probably with Asian components??

Was live streaming on my little laptop. Not bad at all. Close up, sharp pictures for the most part. Sound a bit scratchy, but with my ears, OK.

7" Jaguar lamp puzzle still puzzling.... Why? I think it is because the MG door car was built with buckets designed for bulbs!! Then, adapters created for sealed beams. USA mod at the factory. Result is a sandwich, or better yet, a layer cake with the layers requiring a certain rotational location??? I've managed light in adapter, securing ring in place. But, matching it to the bucket not yet managed. All parts clean, primed and painted. Look good, if nothing else.

Gotta solve that before taking the out boards and buckets out of the car.

Oh, and the bezel grind....

Carl