Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   looking at a xj6, needs a water pump (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/looking-xj6-needs-water-pump-4580/)

thebrownone 02-24-2008 09:33 PM

looking at a xj6, needs a water pump

hey guys, im lookin at a 1987 xj6, and i was wondering how hard it would be to replace a water pump on one of these, only reason i ask is i havent gone to check it out, i dont wanna make the drive if its giong to be too difficult, i plan on fixing it there on driving it home. if someone has a access to the service manual that would be great, any info regarding this would also be great, thanks a lot.

Keith 02-24-2008 10:26 PM

RE: looking at a xj6, needs a water pump

The water pump is pretty simple, if your at least a little handy. Typical things have to be removed, fan, pulleys, hoses, all fairly easy. A little tight between the fan and radiator, but do-able. The manuel is helpful, but certainly not necessary. Just replaced mine on my 85 XJ-6 a couple months ago, took about two hours, if I remember correctly. Keith.

thebrownone 02-25-2008 01:52 AM

thanks for the quick reply, just curious, would you know any common problems on these cars just so i can be prepared when i check it out?

Keith 02-25-2008 07:00 AM

Yep, plenty. You will become very familar with the electrics on the car. 87 is one of the better years, since they got a lot of the "bugs" worked out. The key thing is, check each and every electrical connection you can find. Clean and lubricate each, especially the three fuse boxes. Fuses are another issue, replace all. If they look good, replace anyway, their cheap, and a sorce of multiple problems. The two electrical posts on the firewall will need cleaning. One by the battery, where the positive lead from the battery goes to. Another by the brake booster. Also, any grounds you can find, under the car, as well as under the hood. The different components hardly ever go bad on these cars, just the connections. Rust seems to be a major problem on many of the early series 3 cars, as well as earlier ones. Keep it clean from dirt buildup, and if any rust is present around the front and rear windshield, it may be only the start, kinda like an ice berg, the seals are not all that great. Besides this site, which seems to be a little under used, check out Jag-lovers.org, theres a ton of information in their forums also. Another thing.A lot of people seem to like to make "Garage Queens" out of these cars. Old, low mileage cars. I, personally, would avoid them, unless you like to just look at them. These cars are meant to be driven, and actually do better if you drive them daily. We drive these cars because we love everything about them, style, ride, class, etc..., not because they are the most reliable cars. Although they can be with regular maintenance. My 85 XJ-6 and 95 XJS are proving to be very reliable, but, then again, they get lots of attention so I can enjoy them. Don't be afraid to ask any and all questions, and get a good service manuel. When I say good, I'm not talking about Haynes, which is only OK, but lacking a lot of good stuff. The service manuels on disc from ebay are good. But a factory manuel is best. Cooling issues also. Flush the radiator, make sure itdoesn't get hot. 90C is the normalrunning temperture, don't let it get higher that that. New theromostats, regular fluid changes, etc. Again, regular maintenance.Good luck, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, and do all the required maintanence, and you'll love the car. Regards. Keith.