Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The (lovely?) quirkiness of my 1987 XJ6 VDP

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The (lovely?) quirkiness of my 1987 XJ6 VDP

Hi fellow Jag Enthusiasts:

I have an '87 XJ6 VDP that belonged to my dad that I am keen on reviving to its former glory. There is some body work that needs to be done on the hood and front panel that I probably will undertake since this is a sentimental car. But, she also has a few other quirks you may recognize...

First, the horn goes off when you make a right turn. The speedometer does not work. The interior lighting and the headlights are rather dim. Both the AC and heater are out of commission. Happy car! From all I've been hearing/reading, this sounds like wiring issues, connector problems? Does anyone have any insight on this and perhaps on how easy it might be to repair?

Thank you!
-SJP from NYC.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:03 AM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

I recommend starting by going through the car and cleaning electrical connections, replace the old fuses (they can look good but go bad), and especially clean and tighten all the electrical ground connections. You will be surprised how many problems are taken care of by doing this.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:09 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forums SJP, it sounds like a lot of dirty or corroded connectors there.

Please post an intro thread in the new member area for a warm welcome.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/

Old 02-01-2018, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by SJPaynes

First, the horn goes off when you make a right turn
This might be a fault inside the steering column. But first check the grounding 'fingers' attached to the outer steering column, RH side.

The speedometer does not work.
The most common fault is the speedometer transducer mounted on the LH side of the transmission

Both the AC and heater are out of commission.
Does anything at all happen when you use the system?

Here's some basic reading

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...basics-178058/

Happy car! From all I've been hearing/reading, this sounds like wiring issues, connector problems?
Very possible. And I agree with previous remarks

Does anyone have any insight on this and perhaps on how easy it might be to repair?
Hard to say. Often it's more a matter of patience than difficulty, if you get what I mean. You'll want the S57 Wiring Guide which you can download from one of the sticky threads at the top of this section.

The rule of thumb is don't replace anything without first checking/cleaning/tightening all relevant connections and grounds

Cheers
DD

Old 02-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Welcome aboard. We wish you 'fair winds and trailing seas".

The other guys have set a good course for you. Break down the issues and make a plan for each. Attack one at a time.

Grounds are a great place to start.

Battery - to the attachment on the right wing wall. Remove the cable at each end, clean, lube and tighten. If a PO used a "mickey mouse"
Eliminate it for a proper part.

Down and under. You should find a braided strap at the front end of the transmission back to the chassis. Remove it, examine it, clean it and f it is in great condition, lube and clean the attachment points and replace it, nice and tight.

Now, be prepared for a surprise. other stuff now works well!!!

Jaguar mantra for electrickery: "clean, lubricate and tighten. Serves other critters as well....

Carl

Old 02-01-2018, 09:49 AM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

Good point, Carl. Start with the battery cables. If you don't want to crawl under the car to clean and tighten the engine ground right away, go to NAPA and get a $5 battery cable with eyes at both end. Bolt one end to a strong bolt on the top of the engine and the other end to the post where the factory ground cable bolts to the fender (wing). Now you are absolutely sure the body and the engine are both well grounded. When I bought my 79 I thought the alternator was broken. Turns out it was just poor ground connection for the engine.
Jeff

Old 02-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
...go to NAPA and get a $5 battery cable with eyes at both end. Bolt one end to a strong bolt on the top of the engine and the other end to the post where the factory ground cable bolts to the fender (wing). ...
Jeff
Like this:
Follow the Yellow Line.

This ground goes from the alternator frame to a stud on the fender.
I've had No trouble with poor grounds since I did this.
Notice also, the stud is long enough for 3 nuts allowing disconnection of the battery only, without disturbing anything else.
(';')