Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts
Default Master Cylinder

After 38 years it seemed a good idea to change out the master cylinder -- especially after the panic stop the other day and the front brakes didn't. No harm, I merely looked a little stupid as I finally got stopped in the middle of the intersection. Fortunately no one was behind me so I could back out before cross traffic got the green light.

I put in an order for a familiar brand, Beck/Arnley, and it came in a very timely manner. Quick inspection/comparison showed it seems to be the right one. I was thinking I would install it tomorrow, so it seemed a good idea to see what all might be involved, if there's anything different from "standard" since I'm still learning how the Brits did things in the '70s.

We hear all sorts of tales about counterfeits, from prescription medications to military helicopter tail rotor bearings. They always say a dead give-away is poor spelling. I would think Germans would know how to spell "Lucas."
(';')

Attached Thumbnails Master Cylinder-beckarnleybox.jpg   Master Cylinder-beckarnleymaster.jpg  

Last edited by LnrB; 03-30-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Nothing unusual about the jag master install. It installs just like every other using the familiar procedure of bench bleeding the master before installing it. When I swap them I use a short piece steel line looped back to the master reservoir for a quality bend bleed. The only difficulty is bleeding the rear inboard brakes. Accessing the rear bleeders is an inconvenience.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

For interest sake, how do you bench bleed a master cylinder?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Nothing unusual about the jag master install. It installs just like every other using the familiar procedure of bench bleeding the master before installing it. When I swap them I use a short piece steel line looped back to the master reservoir for a quality bend bleed. The only difficulty is bleeding the rear inboard brakes. Accessing the rear bleeders is an inconvenience.

Thank you, ics.
I hadn't thought of the short brake line back to the reservoir, I always used a short piece of vacuum hose that would fit snugly into the cylinder outlet. Saved a big mess to clean up.

You're right though, it changed just like every one I've ever done on Mercan cars. No problem at all!

It was indeed due to be changed. Not only had the front brakes failed, the rear seal had started to leak. Not too bad YET, but it wouldn't have been long before it started using fluid.

All finished now, as soon as the weather clears, I'm On the Road Again!
(';')