Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Misc. 1994 XJ12 tech questions... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/misc-1994-xj12-tech-questions-4514/)

Pookster208 02-20-2008 04:26 PM

Misc. 1994 XJ12 tech questions...

Here they are..
1. Is there any special trick to removing the door seals in a 1994 XJ12. I have replaced these on many cars but this one seems a bit different. The others seem to "give up the ghost" with a good solid tug, but there seem locked in place.

2. If you use an aftermarket distributor cap and rotor, wil they 1. Melt, 2. Not last very long.(If this is the case, how long)? 3. Do damage to the car. 4. Work just like a Marelli for just as long as a Marelli. I have spoken with Ken Karr about this and he wasn't completely certain but did suggest Marelli if available. (Thanks Ken)

3. Is there a way to cool the XJ12, I have heard about "coring out" the radiator, but not certain what that means... Could you just put in cold thermostats?

4. Does anyone out there sell individual pieces of carpet for this Jag? The issue is, the carpet around the edges of the cabin both front and back are faded, (I hear common for the original coffee colored carpet) but the two layers of mats look REALLY good. I am looking for a carpet set for the XJ12 minus the floor mats, no reason to waste them. I am told that there are several patterns for the 94 XJ12. I find this very strange, though not unheard of in the automotive world.

5. What is the top speed for these cars. I have heard from 155-175. I know mine will actually burn a little rubber when floored at 60mph. Amazing...

6. Who is the best company to purchase dye for the cream colored seats. The leather is nice and soft and looks great except for minimal general color "fallout".

7. The only rust on the entire vehicle was under the false bulkhead at the wiper area. One hold each side and the musty smell the sound deadening material under there produced. WOOOF. That was likely the reason the car went so cheap and another reason for replacing much of the carpet. I have most of the smell out and was considering removing the sound deadening material before repairing the rust. Thoughts? Could it be replaced with something else. Should it be? Does it have any REAL purpose?

8. Lastly, I am something of an audiophile. The drivers side font speaker is blown. Any ideas on size and a VERY good replacement speaker for this application. B&W only makes home speakers and ADS really doesn't make anything for this application. Again, ideas would be appreciated. I am not even sure of the specs for this radio though I have attempted to find out.

Thanks in advance to the folks I consider to be part of a great forum. As do all "off the beaten path" cars, Jaguar needs this forum.

I know Saab & Volvo very well and the more I drive my Jag, the more I am working to collect information. I am very impressed with this old monster.

jag_genius 02-20-2008 05:44 PM

RE: Misc. 1994 XJ12 tech questions...

dont buy any aftermarket ignition parts they never last more then a year.. put colder stats in..

Pookster208 02-20-2008 10:28 PM

RE: Misc. 1994 XJ12 tech questions...

So, Ken Karr tells me Marelli still makes the cap for this model, and
EVERYONE else tells me that Marelli stopped. If I am screwed over
a distributor cap.....good lord! What a joke. Pretty lame and pathetic
parts network for the brand....esp. for a car that is supposed to last.
I guess if that is the case I had better buy like 25 of them and keep
them like google stock, until they are worth 1K each and then make
my money back four fold. With this issue, everyone seems to have
a different opinion. So far I have been amazed that something so
simple could cause so much grief and expense. The dealer wanted
$468 before they told me that they could no longer get the cap.
I mean, it must have cost Marelli .20 to make this thing! I know all
about R&D costs, but really, four hundred sixty eight dollars! I should
charge $19000 when I build someone a computer. I haven't been this
disappointed since the last time I bought an American car. Ken tells
me his company has some at a much reduced cost, but I am also
trying to find out if every time I need a friggin control arm it's gonna
cost me a half million dollars because some ecsentric has to mill out it
in his basement machine shop......and that due to some law of physics,
it has to be made out of rhodium to hold up to the stress this model
places on the car. People complain about the engineering of Jag. But
I must be missing something. I think most of the engineering is ingenius
if this car is any indication of what they have been doing all these years.
But the support network appears to be Yugo esque in nature. I got on
these forums to find out if I just haven't done enough homework yet.
I really, truly hope this is the case.
To date, the most impressed I have been with support and information
of this vehicle have come from a little company in Steubenville Ohio,
Paul's Jaguar, and your own Ken Karr, and of course thoughts and
ideas from all of you. I really wanted to keep this car for a very very
long time......TO DRIVE! If I have to lock it away in the garage because
of parts issues, it won't be around long. Regards and appreciation to all.
Jeff