XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mom's 91 XJ6 Sovereign suffering no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mom's 91 XJ6 Sovereign suffering no start

Ton lead off my Mother has already been here and many of you have helped her, I'm not sure of where her post is.

So we have a 91 XJ6. My mother ran over a curb and says she scraped it... I've inspect the undercarriage and fine no decernable damage.

On to the withering, suffering, no start.

I bought the car for her in 08 or 09... she always wanted one and I always dreamed of buying her one. So when I found this black Beauty I jumped on it. It had a battery terminal disconnect from the start...

Since 08/09 I've replaced the battery maybe 5 times. One of us will drive it and forget the knob or it touches something and drains.

Like most Jags she has some issues. I don't know that much about them, though I have been working on this one for sometime. Im going to list out the symptoms and the issues so that they can each be reviewed by the forum and advised

1. Issue: I have been gone for 1 year... (don't ask... a woman) well My mother says I'm the last one to put gas in it. And after draining it, there is 5 gallons of clean, but old 91 octane.

1. Solution : added 5 more gallons of 91 and suggested amounts of Seafood and Heet for the quantity of fuel and then added a little octane booster to keep it high.

2. Issue: Large Brown Plastic Connector near battery is melted and dead ends into a melted wad of wires.

2. Solution: ???
Melted and dead end connector

3. Issue: The gas cap and the fuel filler tube flip lid have rust. You'll also notice the horrendous looking clear liquid nails job I did on the filler neck gasket. It had rotted and was getting the trunk wet and causing mold. I'll get a new one sooner or later.

Rusty fuel fill

3. Solution : brushed rough rust off, grinder and sealed cap. Liquid nails in the gasket.

4. Issue: 3 different connectors in the trunk, the drivers side panel, have no mate, seemingly no where to go.

4. Solution : ???

5. Issue: air intake tube connecting mass air meter to 90 plastic elbow had 4 inch crack.

5. Solution : epoxy and tape. We don't have the $35 for a new one right now
Also taped and goued

Old 10-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

The car you are describing is an XJ40, not a Series III V12 Sovereign, so it is not covered by this particular forum - totally different cars. You'll get a proper answer to your question from the XJ40 list.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:45 AM

Ummm... don't remember asking what kind of car I had. I'm fairly certain I know. Even told you in the title; a 1991 XJ6 Sovereign. Could we get back to the point at hand? The car doesnt start

Old 10-23-2016, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kristoff Rand
Ummm... don't remember asking what kind of car I had. I'm fairly certain I know. Even told you in the title; a 1991 XJ6 Sovereign. Could we get back to the point at hand? The car doesnt start

Old 10-23-2016, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Ummm... don't remember asking what kind of car I had. I'm fairly certain I know. Even told you in the title; a 1991 XJ6 Sovereign.

This section of for the earlier XJ6s. Most of the people reading this sections have little or no experience with the later XJ6s such as yours.

Your model is covered in the XJ40 section as Gregory mentioned. The people there have more experience with your model are most likely the best source of answers for particular questions .....such as wiring and connector mysteries.

Could we get back to the point at hand? The car doesnt start

Have you checked for spark? That's always a good place to start

Cheers
DD

Old 10-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Kristoff:

Nope. Dr Gregory knows the lineage of these cars like no other.

Two obvious differences for ID purposes.

1. The cars on this forum have two gas tanks with two exposed distinctive filler lids. Your car has one and a flap over the cap.

2. The cars on this forum sport fur light of the old style round sealed beam type. Your car has modules as found in later cars.

Tis an XJ40.

Nice looking car, though!!!

Carl

Old 10-23-2016, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Hello, Kristoff,
As I explained to your mother when she first posted here, I know it's a bit confusing when they put an Xj6 badge on the trunk (one of Jaguar's marketing ploys perhaps), but that car doesn't even have the same engine as our Xj6 series 1, 2, 3 cars, and is completely different in other aspects as well.

So members here are not as familiar with reasons why it won't start as those in the Xj40 section:
XJ40 ( XJ81 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

If someone on Jag Forums helped your mother, they were in the above section.
(';')

Old 10-24-2016, 12:39 AM
Default 5

When am I ever going to learn... I willove never know more than anyone on a forum... especially on my first post.

Forgive my rudeness. My ankle has swollen for no good reason and Im due to leave any day and I really want to leavw her with a running carm

Thanks to the patience.

Yes, I've got spark....

I never got to finish my original post as I got dropped. I'm going to finish it now...

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 05:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

THREAD CLOSED

Pleased to see you have apologised for this rudeness and have also now copied your original post to XJ40 forum.

That's the correct place to post your questions.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 10-24-2016 at 05:12 AM.