Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   My new Xj6, how to increase performance? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/my-new-xj6-how-increase-performance-1118/)

93xj6 02-25-2007 09:56 PM

My new Xj6, how to increase performance?

Just bought a 1993 Xj6, pickin it up tomarow. I'm confused is this the forum to talk about my car on, or do I go to the all other models board.

Thank you for your helping me, I am new.

bigdreams05 02-26-2007 01:08 PM

RE: My new Xj6

This is the one for your car. Not many will come by and read your posts, but I think that the truly helpful people do.

93xj6 02-26-2007 09:23 PM

Well my dad test drove it today, said it ran good. He didn't take it home tho because the wholesaler we bought it from is having a mechanic fix the passenger side mirror and a door that wouldn't open from outside for us.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...QQcmdZViewItem

That is the car we bought.

My dad went on the highway and said he was doing about 60 in it, he said everything was fine and likes the car alot, but he said it wasn';t very good as a highway car. I was wondering if anybody else felt this way.

I was thinking maybe I could do some simple performance upgrades, like a cold air intake maybe a new muffler or something along those lines. I also am a Mustang owner, and alot of people with mustangs mod their cars, but I could not find on google anyplace selling cold air intakes for my jag. Do they make these? Also do you know of any simple and cheap performance upgrades I could do for the car. This is going to be my daily driver and I just want to make sure it runs well, much appretiated,
-David

93xj6 03-04-2007 10:48 PM

Finally got the car yesterday, everything is great.

Just need a 2nd key with remote and foam for the driver side that goes over the metal and under the carpet. Anyone know where to get these items?
thank you

bigdreams05 03-05-2007 02:40 PM

Try calling the dealership.

93xj6 03-05-2007 08:23 PM

RE: My new Xj6, how to increase performance?

We bought the car from a wholesaler with a mechanic working for him, and they couldn;t get a 2nd key I guess.

You think if i go to any jaguar dealership they can hook us up, or should I go to liek a locksmith.

For the floor mats if I put rubber mats over the carpet, that will stop water from seeping onto the metal right? Cuz right now on the drivers area it's just the bottom of the car, and then the carpet and then my feet, because that foam part is missing. I noticed a little rust on the floor there and on the passenger side, but nothing that will make a whole I hope.

JimC64 03-05-2007 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 199509

Seriously 93.............I'd try the dealer first to see how reasonable they will / will not be.........at the very least its a starting point and then go from there.

Jim C

93xj6 03-10-2007 10:11 PM

II got the FOB for 35 bux on ebay, and we will go to the dealer tomarow for a key, otherwise there is a keys4classic website that will do it for around 70 for 2 keys.

Does anybody know if a K&N filter will do much for my performance, because right now I'm only getting liek 14.8 mpg in the city and I'm trying to find a way it bring it closer to 17 mpg city.

I barely even touch the gas pedal anymore, but the milage still isn't going up much so there must be something wrong. We have old tires, but they are well inflated, and we just had the oil change so I can't figure out why the milage is so bad.

03-11-2007 12:54 AM

ORIGINAL: 93xj6

Well my dad test drove it today, said it ran good. He didn't take it home tho because the wholesaler we bought it from is having a mechanic fix the passenger side mirror and a door that wouldn't open from outside for us.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...QQcmdZViewItem

That is the car we bought.

My dad went on the highway and said he was doing about 60 in it, he said everything was fine and likes the car alot, but he said it wasn';t very good as a highway car. I was wondering if anybody else felt this way.

I was thinking maybe I could do some simple performance upgrades, like a cold air intake maybe a new muffler or something along those lines. I also am a Mustang owner, and alot of people with mustangs mod their cars, but I could not find on google anyplace selling cold air intakes for my jag. Do they make these? Also do you know of any simple and cheap performance upgrades I could do for the car. This is going to be my daily driver and I just want to make sure it runs well, much appretiated,
-David

Im in almost the identicle situation you are in! I am a current mustang owner, and Just bought a 1986 from an Estate sale. My drivers side door doesnt open- Do you know how your guy got into the door with it closed?

Jose 03-11-2007 04:23 PM

I'm new here but the 1993 is an XJ-40, and this section is for the XJ from 1968 thru 1987, no?

Jose

04-27-2007 05:11 AM

I heard theres bushings in the suspension that hold the car in place when on the highway, we have 2 look into fixing them on our xj6.

Putting rubber mats over your current rug, will do anything but harm it. I think shoving foam in there will just hold the water, kinda like a sponge, hopefully not cause mildew.

If your really worried about the rust maybe look into different methods of sanding it. Than putting some sort of coating or guard over it.

93xj6 04-27-2007 09:16 PM

Idk what we're going to do about the rust, me and the old man might work on it over the summer when it's warm.

i already got the mats and the car runs good on the highway after we had the power steering and some pinion thing fixed.

This topic kinda dead tho, lol...i handle everthing i needed too basically

04-28-2007 04:26 AM

Ahhh okay, well my dad usually elminates rust by sand blasting, because he has the unit to do it.