Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Mystery of the Slow Leak Solved (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/mystery-slow-leak-solved-119913/)

LnrB 06-15-2014 09:35 AM

Mystery of the Slow Leak Solved

A couple weeks ago while on our way out of town for a show, Nix suffered a flat tire going up a railroad overpass.

When we got over to the Les Schwab dealer in the next little town, a Very Nice fella put in a new valve stem and got us on our way in very good time.

As he was inspecting the inside of the tire for any damage I might have caused by driving on it until I could get the car off the road safely, he also closely inspected the chrome plating where the wheel meets the tire. The chrome was just beginning to flake and part company with the alloy, which he pointed out was usually the cause of slow leaks in such wheels because the bead seal is compromised.

AHA!! The light bulb went on, because one of my tires indeed has a slow leak, losing 6 or 7 pounds pressure every week, and I had been quite mystified about why that was, because they were new tires when I got the car. I've never had chromed alloy wheels before and was Completely unaware this could happen.

He said the only cure is new wheels, but he didn't see enough separating in that particular wheel to warrant replacement. However it was something to keep in mind for other wheels if they leak too fast.

So the mystery of my slow leak was solved, and since I know about it now I can keep close watch. I'm pretty sure the damage is caused by careless tire mounting. The guy who worked on my tire was *Very* careful, had special tire tools which I'd never seen before, but it also took more time to get the job done. I'm thinking that in future, I will need to be watchful when I get new tires so they'll be as careful as he was.

They were nice guys! That tire store will get all our tire business from now on.
(';')

Jagfixer 06-15-2014 11:24 AM

The wheels get moisture on inside and outside the rim. Results in chrome degrading over time and peeling. Only way to slow done degrading is to demount ties and clean area occasionally, but since this is labor intensive and costly, replacement wheels are called for over time. If wheels are original they are 38 yrs. old and probably could use rebuilding or replacement.

LnrB 06-15-2014 04:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jagfixer (Post 996128)
The wheels get moisture on inside and outside the rim. Results in chrome degrading over time and peeling. Only way to slow done degrading is to demount ties and clean area occasionally, but since this is labor intensive and costly, replacement wheels are called for over time. If wheels are original they are 38 yrs. old and probably could use rebuilding or replacement.

Thank you, Larry,
I think they are Xj40 wheels, teardrop chromed. Image attached. Although we were given receipts for almost everything else, papers for the wheels weren't included.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn the PO got them out of a wrecking yard somewhere so they probably weren't in Pristine condition. At any rate, I now understand more about chromed wheels, their care and feeding, and probably the next time I get new tires, I'll have all the wheels inspected, including the spare.

I just looked up replacement cost and I'm a little shocked. So I guess I'll have them re-chromed when that time comes. <shudder>
(';')