Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   need pic of rear dash of 1984 xj6 series III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/need-pic-rear-dash-1984-xj6-series-iii-8678/)

ciscosurfdog 10-13-2008 09:29 PM

need pic of rear dash of 1984 xj6 series III

Does anyone have a good picture of what the rear dash of a 1984XJ6 Series III should look like? Mine has a 3rd brake light and two holeson each side in the middle of the dash, which obviously had screws and washers in them at one time. I am not sure what was there originally.

Keith 10-14-2008 06:41 AM

RE: need pic of rear dash of 1984 xj6 series III

I'm guessing your car originally had rear head rests. They had two bolts to hold them in place. Their an inch or two apart from each other, spaced fairly close to the center of each rear passenger seating area. If you have aCD service manuel, look in the parts section and you'll see a picture of them. Another hole, which should have a plastic cap over it, would be for a child seat strap.

Jose 10-25-2008 07:49 PM

hi,

I do not think this is correct for the 1984 model year, one of which I own too. Maybe you are thinking 1994? There were no child seat strap holes in the 1984 XJ-6, including the Vanden Plas or the Sovereign trims;

The Headrests (Vanden Plas and Sovereign only), are mounted on the top shoulder of the rear seat back, not on the shelf behind the seat back. The separation of the two Series III XJ headrest rods is 6 inches. Ask me how I know: I installedheadrests in my non-Van den Plas XJ.

Butwhat is confusing is: what do you mean by "rear dash"? Do you mean the rear Shelf?

If you meanthe rear Shelf, it sounds as if what is missing there is the Upholstery Finisher-cover for the cabin ventilator, since the Third Mounted Stop Lamp was not factory-installed untilthe 1986 model year.

(it is easy to retrofit the Third Stop Lamp using 3M double adhesive tape, then running the two wires through the ventilator holes. I retrofitted my 1965 S type with a Third Stop Lamp and Headrests from a 1986 XJ-6 Van den Plas, as shown in the attachmentbelow; Provision for the headrestscame standardfrom the factory, even thoughthe Base trim level did not get headrests).

The ventilator cover-finisher in the Van den Plas and Sovereign trim models is covered in vinyl in the same color as the interior,but in the base model XJ, the shelf cover and ventilator finisher are covered in Black vinyl.

You can find this part in a salvage car, so do notdespair, there areplenty to go around.

Jose

ciscosurfdog 10-27-2008 09:08 PM

I have attached pictures since I am not sure the ventilator cover is missing. I know the car is a 1984 but it was not sold until 1986 so possibly the third brake light was added in by the dealership but the wires are not exposed.

Jose 10-28-2008 06:34 AM

I think someone may have installed speakers on top of the shelf?

The ventilator cover is at the center exactly, so the arrows do not match.

Nothing is missing there.

To find out the Build Date, look at the Driver's Door opening and read the sticker there, if
it's a 1984 Model-Year, it would have been built in 1983.

Jose