Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   new dash woodgrain (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-dash-woodgrain-120414/)

gmachinz 06-22-2014 02:55 PM

new dash woodgrain

I am finishing a project Jaguar my dad bought for fun and I was wondering if anybody offers a replacement dash woodgrain trim? If not it won't matter because I'm setup to make a new one. I am swapping out the OEM gauges for a full set of Autometer Ultra Lite ones. I am making a CAD drawing of the original woodgrain overlay and I plan to keep the stock gauge layout but will have the openings routed to match the Autometer in-dash gauges.

I plan on having a 1-piece multi-laminated walnut bezel CNC routed along with the glovebox door-then a nice stain and then a few generous coats of polyurethane to protect the stained finish. Has anyone done this before? How did yours turn out? I'm swapping gauges to make life easier for my dad-I don't care for celcius readings, fuel gauge does not work anyway nor does the tach for this motor and I am not fond of the OEM mechanical oil gauge-I've had oil gauge leak inside before on other projects-not fun. Any tips/advice?

LnrB 06-22-2014 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by gmachinz (Post 1000497)
I am finishing a project Jaguar my dad bought for fun and I was wondering if anybody offers a replacement dash woodgrain trim? If not it won't matter because I'm setup to make a new one. I am swapping out the OEM gauges for a full set of Autometer Ultra Lite ones. I am making a CAD drawing of the original woodgrain overlay and I plan to keep the stock gauge layout but will have the openings routed to match the Autometer in-dash gauges.

I plan on having a 1-piece multi-laminated walnut bezel CNC routed along with the glovebox door-then a nice stain and then a few generous coats of polyurethane to protect the stained finish. Has anyone done this before? How did yours turn out? I'm swapping gauges to make life easier for my dad-I don't care for celcius readings, fuel gauge does not work anyway nor does the tach for this motor and I am not fond of the OEM mechanical oil gauge-I've had oil gauge leak inside before on other projects-not fun. Any tips/advice?

Ohhh, that sounds familiar!
My car was restored about 20 years ago and the PO told us he had the dash done just as you describe.

It's one piece of 3/8 plywood with stained walnut burl veneer (I've had it all apart), with about 14 coats of PolyU. The glove box door was routed out and the grain matches Perfectly. It looks Awesome!

My gauges are stock Series II, but they read in MPH, PSI and degrees F. It has an electric oil pressure gauge with the sensor plumbed into the main galley on the back of the engine.

The new gauges you chose sound nice. I bet your dad will greatly appreciate all your work.

We'll need pictures of all this, ya know.
(';')

icsamerica 06-22-2014 05:01 PM

CG woodcraft in CT. Guy is named Gary, you can call him, he usually picks up. He also sells them on Ebay. I have one from him...they are very nice, worth every penny but not perfect.

Welcome to C&G Woodcraft - Cabinet Markers

Jose 06-23-2014 06:48 AM

British Autowood in Orlando Florida does incredible dash work.

British Autowood | Dashboard and Woodwork Restoration

gmachinz 06-23-2014 05:40 PM

Wow....I wasn't aware there were so many options offered. Idk, I think I'm going to source a dark wood....I was looking at a mahogany crotch wood pattern to use as a dash bezel-and there's plenty enough to make door panel trim pieces too. I think a dark wood against the white Autometer gauges will be a good look.