Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   new jag owner, car needs repaired, help (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-jag-owner-car-needs-repaired-help-5428/)

MFOX 04-08-2008 07:50 PM

new jag owner, car needs repaired, help

Hi, I'm posting here for my neighbor, who was lucky enough to have just received a gorgeous '85 BRG XJ6 for his 16th birthday. The car is in very good condition, from what I have seen, and runs and drives well, and has about 100,000 miles on it. It has mostly sat for the decade probably with little use. They just took the car to a local foreign car repair shop and they say it needs some serious brake and steering work. From what his mom told me, the car's steering column is very loose and most of the steering components need replaced, also the back brakes, as i am told, are not even working, and there is a lot of pedal travel when stopping the car. The shop says that the way the car is designed, the whole rear axle needs to come out to fix the brakes. Is this true? I'm used to working on old corvette's so foreign cars are a little new to me. They want $3500 to do all the work. How resonable does that sound? Another thing is that the cooling fan keeps running all the time and is draining the battery. They disconnected it so they could sit the car overnighrt without losing the battery. What could be the problem here? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

hey_hej 04-08-2008 08:31 PM

RE: new jag owner, car needs repaired, help

The thing about the rear disc brakesis true, but I was told there is a way around it. Here in Cali mechanics charge $1.500 and up to change the brakes on the back.

MFOX 04-08-2008 08:36 PM

correction, the car only has 50,000 on it.
-hey_hej....thanks for the info

Jose 04-08-2008 08:36 PM

the Red Relay on the left side of the engine compartment, mounted above the radiator, controls the Auxiliary Cooling Fan. The Relay is what goes bad, replace it. Check with Ken at Motorcars Ltd. for a replacement. Disconnect the plug from the relay in the meantime.

There are two opinions on replacing the rear pads: Yes it can be done from underneath without dropping the rear cage, and No, it can't be done.

I replaced my own pads without any of that drop-the-suspension business. But if you are having to replace the rear calipers, then that's another story. I doubt you have to replace the rear calipers, mine is a 1984 and still kicking.

Regardless, the rear brakes do little to brake the car, they are mostly for the Emergency Brake.
If I was to do anything first, I would flush the system with fresh brake fluid and bleed all 4 calipers, and the rears can be bled from under the car. This is not a Fiero.

I seriously doubt they are talking about the Steering Column, perhaps they are talking about the Steering Rack? A Rack is about $400.00. Replacing it is fairly easy.

Personally, I think $3,500. buys a nice condition XJ, so yes, that's too much money. Get more estimates and opinions.

And talking about thousands, the XJ weighs over 3,800 pounds. These cars are very heavy and low. Safety is always a concern. When working under these cars, a lot of jacks and other support is required. A lot is not enough. Tell you 16 year old kid. This is not a toy. We have lost some XJ owners when their cars collapsed on them for not being properly supported.

For more info, and to familiarize with the XJ, read this e-book:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/books.html

Jose

skanoski 04-09-2008 02:33 PM

Jose - your 'heavy and low' warning is exactly why I don't change my own oil. You really need a proper lift to do much underneath the series III xjs.

Jose 04-09-2008 05:12 PM

yes I hear you, but I change my own oil & filter by raising the front with a 3 ton hydraulic jack, then placing jackstandsunder each front wishbone, leaving the jack supporting the center, then I placeconcrete blocks under each front tire! Lot of work but then I can relax under the car, inspect everything,etc. It's a workout let me tell you. And of course I keep my phone handy to order a pizza.

JagtechOhio 04-09-2008 05:39 PM

Replacing inboardrear brake rotors on SeriesI-III XJ6 or XJS doesn't pay any more than 8 hours labor. I charge 5, andgotthe actual timedown to 3 after 100 sets or so. Dropping the differential cage assembly is counterproductive, that only gives you the pleasure of rolling it around on the floor to pull the halfshafts off.

Replacing pads takes an hour even without a lift. The car in question in this thread probably just has leaking brake calipers, they are exposed to too much heat and moisture and often show leakage on cars that have been sitting a long time.

You can buy rebuilt rear calipersfor XJ6/ XJS at under $100. each, and pay no more than five hours for their installation. Rebuilding them is not cost effective, the caliper pistons corrode, and their cost+ seal kit+ extra labor leaves you upside down.

Jose 04-10-2008 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio
Replacing inboardrear brake rotors on SeriesI-III XJ6 or XJS doesn't pay any more than 8 hours labor. I charge 5, andgotthe actual timedown to 3 after 100 sets or so. Dropping the differential cage assembly is counterproductive, that only gives you the pleasure of rolling it around on the floor to pull the halfshafts off.
Replacing pads takes an hour even without a lift. The car in question in this thread probably just has leaking brake calipers, they are exposed to too much heat and moisture and often show leakage on cars that have been sitting a long time.
You can buy rebuilt rear calipersfor XJ6/ XJS at under $100. each, and pay no more than five hours for their installation. Rebuilding them is not cost effective, the caliper pistons corrode, and their cost+ seal kit+ extra labor leaves you upside down.

There's your second Estimate....exactly what I thought.

Jose