Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   New Jag: Refitting Starter (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-jag-refitting-starter-127236/)

JagNesh1 09-24-2014 01:15 PM

New Jag: Refitting Starter

1 Attachment(s)
Proud semi-new owner of a clean 1987 Jaguar XJ6, records state mileage was at 81k in 99', now she sits at 92k and is very clean. The interior is spotless except for the dash, which will need to be touched up a bit.

Problem: The car decided not to start up one day. After excessive tinkering, I got it towed to a shop for diagnosis, and they came up with a bad starter solenoid and a ring gear thats not in the best shape. Since the ring gear isn't completely necessary (nor do I have the time/resources for that until winter) I decided to just refit a new starter myself, and had the shop leave it out.

What I was wondering is if there is any how to/guide/diagram/picture that would help me refit the starter so that I can get my baby starting again. Also, any tips for things I should have checked straight away as a semi-new Jaguar owner would be fantastic!

Darrenmb 09-24-2014 03:34 PM

Its pretty straight forward. Only two bolts holding it in, its kinda heavy though! I disonnected transmission vent when i did mine just for that little extra bit of wiggle room.
Dont forget all the normal stuff though, disconnect battery, use jack stands. Etc

Doug 09-24-2014 06:15 PM

Right. Nothing exotic or especially weird.

There's a 1/8" thick mounting spacer. Make sure to use it. If you don't see it then it's probably still on the old starter.

Removing the battery (5 minutes) gives more room in the area....useful when dealing with the top bolt

Can't hurt to remove the oil pressure sender as a precaution. Five minutes. It's just 3-4 inches forward of the starter. If the heavy starter gets away from you it can flop forward and break the oil pressure sender clean off!.

Cheers
DD

o1xjr 09-25-2014 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1065464)
Can't hurt to remove the oil pressure sender as a precaution. Five minutes. It's just 3-4 inches forward of the starter. If the heavy starter gets away from you it can flop forward and break the oil pressure sender clean off!.

Cheers
DD

Did that 2 days after I bought my XJ6, I didn't have the battery in way being a rhd so could easily get it out, just didn't realise it was that heavy and being covered in oil it slipped straight out of my grip.

JagCad 09-25-2014 10:33 AM

Recently, I did that job on my 4.0 powered Jeep Grand Cherokee. The architecture is similar. However, the Jeep Mitsubishi is much lighter than the jaguar starter still residing in my left overs. No battery in the way. I did the entire job from beneath, including the electricals.

Were I to do a Jaguar 4.2 and old tech starter, I'd do two things differently.

1. Do the electrics above.

2. if a helper were available, a rope to suspend the starter from above while I guided it home and started the bolts. or a sling unattended. This noted from a newbie on another forum.

Carl

JagCad 09-25-2014 10:34 AM

Good luck and persistence carries many a day.