Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   new Jaguar owner w/ questions (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-jaguar-owner-w-questions-9964/)

Raiderfan001 12-31-2008 10:52 PM

new Jaguar owner w/ questions

Hey first time owner of a 74 XJ6 and looking to see what I can learn about it. First off it has been converted to aChevy 350/350 and I notice that it seems a bit high geared. From what Ive been able to find I believe it has astock 3.31 gear ratio? Is there anyway to swap it to a lower gear?

Also the interior is a bit rough and I'm wanting to replace at least the seats. From what I can gather the interior from the 70s-80s doesn't look like it changed all that much for the XJ6s. If I was to find an 80ish XJ6parts carwould I be able just swap out the seats and maybe some of the door panels and center console?

I'm sure I have other questions I cant think of atm but the gearing and the interior are my main concerns. Thanks for any help.

Doug 12-31-2008 11:00 PM

RE: new Jaguar owner w/ questions

ORIGINAL: Raiderfan001

Hey first time owner of a 74 XJ6 and looking to see what I can learn about it. First off it has been converted to aChevy 350/350 and I notice that it seems a bit high geared. From what I've been able to find I believe it has astock 3.31 gear ratio? Is there anyway to swap it to a lower gear?

Also the interior is a bit rough and I'm wanting to replace at least the seats. From what I can gather the interior from the 70s-80s doesn't look like it changed all that much for the XJ6's. If I was to find an 80ish XJ6parts carwould I be able just swap out the seats and maybe some of the door panels and center console?

I'm sure I have other questions I can't think of atm but the gearing and the interior are my main concerns. Thanks for any help.

Yeah, it probably has a 3.31 diff. The Ser III XJ6s had taller gearing, 3.07 until '82 or so and 2.88 after that. It should be easy to find a decent used one. Look for one out of any XJS....they had the same ratios and you'll get limited slip as part of the bargain

I'mpretty sure the seats will interchange directly.

I think the door trims will interchange but there is something a bit different about they way they fit at the top....can't remember the details but I think its a minor thing that you could work around. Same with the console....should work, might be a couple minor details to straighten out. Note the the early Ser III consoles are pretty much (perhaps actually) the same as the Ser IIs, but later Ser III consoles are different at the front.

Cheers
DD

Raiderfan001 12-31-2008 11:13 PM

Did the 74 XJ6s not have limited slip? If not then I wonder if the current rear end is the original or not. The burnt rubber I've left out in the country side hasled me to believe it does have limited slip as of now lol

Doug 12-31-2008 11:22 PM

Limited slip was optional on 6 cylinder cars, standard on V12s and XJSs.

Its very rare to see limited slip on an XJ6 in the USA....almost unheard of. I'd be willing to bet that the PO made the change.

Another idea is to go to a 700/R4 trans. Lower first gear for off-the-line ooomph, and an overdrive fourth gear for highway driving.

Cheers
DD

Raiderfan001 12-31-2008 11:53 PM

I probably would go with a 700 except for the fact I already have another 350/350 I plan on rebuilding and the T350 is cheaper esp since I already have them. I'm not gonna be taking it out on the drap strip, but would like to have a weekend tire smoker. As it is right now it just doesn't have as much oomph as i'd like when stepping on the throttle.

JagtechOhio 01-01-2009 06:08 AM

Center console will have to be from an '82 or earlier: otherwise, you'll have to modify it at the climate control faceplate aperature to accomidate for the differences there.

Raiderfan001 01-02-2009 11:42 PM

Ok heres another question I thought of. Will the bumpers from a S1 fit on my 74? I don't really like the plastic and rubber look on mine. The ones I saw from pics of a 72 xj6 looked real nice though.

Doug 01-02-2009 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Raiderfan001

Ok heres another question I thought of. Will the bumpers from a S1 fit on my 74? I don't really like the plastic and rubber look on mine. The ones I saw from pics of a 72 xj6 looked real nice though.

I don't think so, no. The rear bumper might.

Lots of guys seek out the Series II "Euro" bumpers which don't have the big rubber cushions and look similar to Series I bumpers. You'll probbaly have to have them sent over from the UK, Europe, or Australia. I think some of the front sheet metal has to be changed, at least the lower valance panel.

Hopefully someone with concrete answers will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Raiderfan001 01-20-2009 10:58 PM

Ok heres another question. The brake lights don't work. I've confirmed that both bulbs are good. I'm thinking next place to check would be either a fuse or the part (not sure what it's called exactly) near the brake pedal with the "plunger" that gets pressed as the pedal is pressed. If the fuses are all good, does anyone know what that plunger part is called and where I might be able to get one online? I'd rather have it mailed from a store and possibly new but if I have to find one at a junk yard than I guess that would have to do.

JagtechOhio 01-20-2009 11:10 PM

That's the brake light switch, it has an arm that swivels to close the switch contacts when the brake pedal moves.

Turn the ignition on, jump the two wires at the switch together, and see if your brake lights are on. If so, the switch is bad. You need the correct one, new or used, message me if you can't find one local.

Raiderfan001 01-20-2009 11:21 PM

Thanks. I'll give that a try when I get a chance to drive down (the car is currently a couple hours away at my parents house).

Doug 01-21-2009 12:09 AM

Just to clarify, the switch with the plunger is for the cruise control. The one with the lever arm, as JTO says, is for the brake lights

Cheers
DD

JagtechOhio 01-21-2009 12:23 AM

No cruise on a "74, unless it's a Bendix or other aftermarket install. I did a couple many years ago, and don't recall a separate switch for cruise inhibit. I think the control unit just got signal from the stock brake light switch.

Raiderfan001 01-21-2009 12:41 AM

I think lever arm would be a more accurate description than plunger. It's a metal bar that actually makes contact with the brake pedal. When the brake pedal is pressed it moves that lever. I assumed it was to activate the brake lights. As far as I know the car doesn't have criuse control. Next to the switch to swap the gas tanks, however are some other unmarked switches that i'm not too sure of. Next time I have a chance i'll take a picture and maybe you guys might know what they are for lol. I think one or two of them aren't original though.

Doug 01-21-2009 06:18 AM

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio

No cruise on a "74, unless it's a Bendix or other aftermarket install. I did a couple many years ago, and don't recall a separate switch for cruise inhibit. I think the control unit just got signal from the stock brake light switch.

You are right, of course. Sometimes my brain gets stuck in "Series III" mode ! Sorry.

Cheers
DD

Raiderfan001 03-03-2009 11:34 PM

Well I tested the switch with a volt meter and it is getting power. After messing with the two wires a bit the brakes started working. Then after a day or two stopped working. So I unscrewed the switch and took a wire brush to the posts and the brakes seem to be working fine again. I think i'll buy new connectors and splice them to the wires as well in case they have rust or gunk built up causing problems.

Now my plans are to swap out to lower gears, new paint and wheels/tires. I contacted CWI http://www.cwiinc.com/ to find out what I could do. They said they could swap out the gears with 3.73 for about $1300 (thats with me just mailing them the diff). I think my best move would be to order just the gears and have a local shop do all the work for me. I was quoted $1500 in labor + whatever the gears cost locally. Any idea what 3.73 or maybe 3.90 gears should cost me?

I haven't called back to see how much just the gears alone would be yet but will probably later today after work. But another thing I'm wondering about is what I read somewhere:

Dana is the parent company that makes the center diff of the Jag. IIRC it's called a "Salisbury" in the UK because the UK Dana subsidiary plant is in or near Salisbury. Dana is now part of Dana-Spicer Corp., which may be part of some bigger company now.

The diff is ALMOST identical to the Dana 44. The diff is the same, but the pinion shaft is slightly smaller and the bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier are slightly smaller than the US Dana 44. I'm not sure about the side bearings, but they are probably different too. I'd think the sizes were changed to those more common in the UK, but can't say for sure.

To install Dana 44 gears you need a special installation kit that has shoulder bolts to match the larger bolt holes to the size of the Jag carrier (or have a machine shop drill and tap the carrier for the bigger bolts) and special bearings to mount the D44 pinion in the Jag housing. Of course you need the yoke for the pinion shaft too. CWI (http://www.cwiinc.com/index.html) has yokes to mate with the Jag driveshaft flange, or you can use a standard D44 yoke and change the driveshaft.
found on post #4 here: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jaguar-irs-67267.html

Any thoughts on going that route? Cause my dad has a 77 Chevy with 3.83 gears that he will be swapping out to 4.11's. I can have his 3.83 gears for about $400. Should I go 3.83 with the conversion kit or just order 3.73/3.90 Jaguar gears?