Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   new kid on the block- really need HELP!! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-kid-block-really-need-help-59536/)

AJR 08-19-2011 05:28 PM

new kid on the block- really need HELP!!

My name is Anthony and I'm brand new to this awesome forum! I am very excited to be posting my 1st thread! First of all, I LOVE my Jaguar (89 Vanden Plas) but could really use some help with a VERY frustrating problem I've been trying to solve for the past 6 months: STALLING and then not being able to start back up very easily and sometimes not at all.

The car will run perfectly one day, and then the next day (mostly in the morning) will either not start or if it does start, it will run for a minute and then stumble a couple of times and then die. At this point it may or may not start back up. If it doesn't start, I usually unplug the air flow meter and can get it to start. I'll let it run until it seems stable then plug the meter back in (engine RPM usually goes down when I do this). I tried replacing the air flow meter with another one from a junk yard but the car does the same thing. I have since replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, coil and coil wire but car is still doing the same thing. One mechanic suggested I replace the air meter with a NEW meter but I hate to do this as just something to "try" at a $300. price tag.

I'ts strange. The car could run perfect one day, then give me great grief the next day?? Do air meters work and then not work?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Thanks,
Anthony

ronin 08-19-2011 05:57 PM

Anthony,

Welcome to the forum and glad to see you are so excited.

First note, if you have an '89 Vanden Plas (VPD) with the 6 cylinder engine in it the you have what is known as an XJ40 and there is a different forum specifically for those cars. The engine in those cars is different than the 6 cylinders in the XJ6 Series I~III. The heading above is a little confusing I'm sure since it says 1968~1992 and your car may have an XJ6 badge on it, but after 1987 the only Series III cars produced were the 12 cylinder cars. The 6 cylinder cars were still called XJ6s, but had an all new body, drivetrain, etc...

As for your problem, the guys on the other forum can probably give better advice, but I agree with you about not wanting to "try" a $300 part. Is there a vintage Jag mechanic around your area?

Good luck. I believe those are good cars once properly sorted out.

Eric

AJR 08-19-2011 06:43 PM

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for responding to my post!

I'm so glad you cleared that up for me about having a XJ40. That explains why some of the XJ6 parts I have tried to install didn't work! I am going to take your advice and enter my post on the XJ40 forum.

Thank you again for getting me straightened out on that. Eric, you are a shining example of this forum and have now created great imprints of this forum for me!

Have a great weekend!
Anthony