Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   New MeMbe!!! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-membe-3740/)

83Jaguar6 01-07-2008 08:40 PM

New MeMbe!!!

What's up guyz? I am glad to be part of the Jagur Forums. MY name is Alvin and i would like to say that i am indeed proud to own a 1983 Jaguar XJ6! I got it for 500 from my uncle. THe miles are pretty dam low 40077 on the odo. So far i have been having trouble starting it. My uncle and i have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugz, and last but not least the air filter (replaced it with a K&N. Today it has finally started.

skanoski 01-08-2008 09:58 PM

RE: New MeMbe!!!

Hello there and welcome to the forum. 40K on an 83...Nice!

83Jaguar6 01-09-2008 05:36 AM

RE: New MeMber!!!

Yup 40k well 4077, drove it yesterday without registration and inspection sticker, to get gas. Currently has 40081 exactly!!! I couldn't believe it either. What does everyone use to fill up the Jaguar XJ6??? And also what are your opinions on the miles per gallon? Do you guyz think that it takes up too much gas by any chance?

Thankz,
Alvin

Kamak86 01-16-2008 07:06 AM

I have a 86 XJ6 VP, and when its cold out(20F-39F) i get 6-8 MPG, when its warm (50-70F) i get 15-17 MPG, Thats just going by what the computer says on the dash. Im not sure if thats 100% correct since its a 86 old school computer in the car.

Jose 01-16-2008 07:17 PM

as long as we are talking Series III XJ-6, (1980-1987 USA market), then each car is different from the other, because they were hand assembled, hand-tuned, hand-this, hand-that.

Don't even bother with the "computer", it is not accurate.

A fair miles per gallon is 18-21 mpg. And even then, some cars are more efficient than others.

In long trips, highway/interstate driving, I can get 525 miles out of the twin tanks of my 1984 XJ-6 before having to stop to refill. I think that's pretty decent for a Jaguar. Also I am talking setting it on Cruise at 70-72.5 miles per hour. Any more than that and gas mileage goes down.

also I keep fresh oil (Castrol 20W50) and filter in the engine. No burnt oil.

also I keep the tire pressure at 33 psi.

I use Splitfire SF6E spark plugs.Gap at .035. I use a K & N air filter.Andbecause mine is of the older XJ-6 with the single-wire Oxygen Sensors, a Ground Strap was added from the sensor to the body. Why?

It is a well known issue that as these cars get older, the Grounding becomes less effective, the Engine Control Unit (ECU) gets a less and less "positive" signal from the Oxygen Sensor, causing the engine to be morethirsty than when it was new. It's trying to "catch up".

In my car, the result from adding a O2 sensor Ground Strap was inmediate:a more stable idling, and better gas mileage. If your car has the TWO or THREE-wire O2 Sensor, you don't need a ground strap. The only engines that benefit are the ones with SINGLE-wire sensors.

If any of you with the older XJ-6 (1980-1985) wants a nicely made ground strap, contact me.

Jose