Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   New Owner/Member Of A 87 XJ6 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-owner-member-87-xj6-193809/)

TitanoBlu 12-15-2017 06:13 AM

New Owner/Member Of A 87 XJ6

Good morning. My father just gifted me his all original(except radio) 1987 XJ6. It has 80,000 original miles on the 4.2L engine. I just got it home from Tennessee to New Orleans. It has a couple of minor issue that I could use some help with.

How to replace the drivers mirror? Mine just moves around and the switch will not adjust it.
The dash computer under the A/C vent comes off and on. Loose wire I guess.
Needs tune up. Dad doesn't remember the last one he did.
Stitching in front seats coming undone.

Does anyone know of a good mechanic or upholstery place.

Thank you and glad to be a part of this forum.https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...214bbf8742.jpg

Doug 12-15-2017 08:19 AM

Welcome aboard and congratulations

Those Series IIIs are great cars; built like a tank and drive like velvet. Worth the effort of sorting out the glitches

Post your technical questions in the "Series I-II-III" section for best results

Cheers
DD

Doug 12-15-2017 08:20 AM

OK, I'm a dumb-ass. You DID post in the "Series I-II-III" sections. Sorry

Cheers
DD

Doug 12-15-2017 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by TitanoBlu (Post 1809384)

How to replace the drivers mirror? Mine just moves around and the switch will not adjust it.

You might get lucky here.

The mirror is removed by simply removing the two screws at the base. Now gently lift the mirror away....sort of gently teasing the wiring out of the hole in the door. With luck you'll be able to disconnect the connector....which is held together with a small wire-tie.

Don't let the wiring fall back into the door or you'll have to remove the trim panel to feed it back into the hole.

If you can't tease enough of the wiring out of the door you'll have to remove the door trim. But, in my experience you should be able to change the mirror working entirely from the outside

The dash computer under the A/C vent comes off and on. Loose wire I guess.

Often an erratic trip computer can be 'fixed' by simply removing and re-seating the connector. The computer itself can be removed by simply getting your fingernails under the edges and tugging outward.

But the computer itself might be on the blink. It happens with age.

Cheers
DD

TitanoBlu 12-15-2017 09:38 AM

Thanks for the mirror info. I will try teasing it because I really don't won't to mess with door panels. I will also try to rest the wiring on the computer. I comes on for a few minutes, then goes off.

Roger Mabry 12-15-2017 11:21 AM

Does the right hand mirror work now? Even brand new toggle switches work "odd"... have to press hard to make things work.. Did you try moving the toggle for that mirror several times in case it is just dirty?

The connector wiring is very short.. then pull apart the connection. Tie up the wires first with a light cord.. you do not want it dropping inside the door! The door panels come off easily enough but avoiding that job is the plan.

Mirrors are easily available.. so is the switch to adjust the mirrors on the door panel.

I just put these later S3 mirrors on my '71 Jag... easy to work on.

TitanoBlu 12-15-2017 10:06 PM

The mirror can't be adjusted with the switch. The mirror is loose to the touch, like it not really attached to anything. It just fall so you are looking at the ground.

Tar 12-16-2017 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by TitanoBlu (Post 1809759)
The mirror can't be adjusted with the switch. The mirror is loose to the touch, like it not really attached to anything. It just fall so you are looking at the ground.

Sounds like the mirror back has “let go” of the three balls which hold it in: one, a stationary pivot, and two on arms that are connected to servo motors to reposition. It can be a little bit of a pain to get the mirror snapped back onto all three, but is not impossible given some patience. There’s a thread on here somewhere you might search for, for the technique that worked.

Good luck.

Andrew.