Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   New rims for my Series 1 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-rims-my-series-1-a-167143/)

MalnFaye 08-05-2016 09:32 PM

New rims for my Series 1

1 Attachment(s)
The rims pictured are for sale ( about 100km away). I am thinking that they would be a suitable alternative to rechroming the original rims on my xj6 which are showing their age.

Jaguar mags x 4 | Wheels, Tyres & Rims | Gumtree Australia Cockburn Area - Jandakot | 1119518631

The question I have is, will they fit. I have done some research and a fitting kit is mentioned. Does anyone know what this is?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Malcolm

Roger Mabry 08-05-2016 10:21 PM

Rims from XJ40

2 Attachment(s)
I have the same rims on my S1 but mine are the Premium version with more holes, due to the front hubs being different on S1 vs 2/3, you will need spacers on the front only. You will need longer lug nuts so that at least four-five threads are covered when installed. The size is 1/2X20. The front spacers I used were 7/16 thick.

The center caps might not fit the front until you "massage" the front grease hub caps in so you have enough clearance.

The rears will fit perfectly. You will not be able to fit a spare in your original well...the rims are seven inches wide and with appropriate tires it will not fit. Use your stock spare and lug nuts.

MalnFaye 08-06-2016 01:13 AM

Thank you Roger for the information, but on further research, wheel spacers are not legal in Australia. So I will not be proceeding.

Roger Mabry 08-06-2016 08:08 AM

California does not care...

We do not not have annual/semi-annual vehicle inspections of our cars conditions - except for smog. My car is even exempt from those inspections due to the year 1971.

You could convert the front hubs and even the steering rack to the later S3 model and then use the wheels without the spacers.. note my update to my other posting about the spare tire fit.

JagCad 08-06-2016 10:28 AM

There are spacers and there are spacers. Some are safe and others
no way.

1. The "good" ones accommodate the center hub. Others are mere washers and relegate all the load to the lug studs.

2. How would a MOT inspector detect spacers, good ones or poor ones unless he/she removed a wheel ???

Kinda like my last adventure with SMOG inspections in CA. The local regulatory body introduced a pre machine obstacle. Known as the
"snap throttle" inspection. Fire up the engine, rev it a bit , quick off the throttle. If any smoke of any color out the tail pipe/s, it will
probably fail the "sniff: test???

At one station, a kid snap tested what he reffered to as my Frankenstein car and announced I failed. Immensely illogical
that such a ? and subjective "test" could predict what a much
more sophisticated "SMOG" machine would find. Ridiculous,
beyond all belief.

Another station, no "snap throttle test", admired, not ridiculed,
passed with colors aloft!!!!!

I see the purpose of SMOG and MOT, but meaningful or otherwise.
Here, hidden agendas lurk.

Olden politics touted apple pie and motherhood. Now it is the environment!!!!

Carl