XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Series III owner - questions taking some things apart

Old 10-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default New Series III owner - questions taking some things apart

Hi All,

Been on the forum for quite some time but new to the XJS Series III. Just picked up a gorgeous condition 1985 Vanden Plas, one owner 91k miles all service records. Everything works, no rust in any of the usual places, looks like close to a new car. Have read quite a lot of posts in this forum and found some great info. But stumped on a couple of things that should be simple.

Trying to fix "everything" and ran into a couple of glitches. Windows are flaky. Sometimes work sometimes don't (mostly most work). Was going to take the switches out, clean them per many posts I found. However, I cannot figure out how console box comes out. Took the lid off, took all the little phillips screws in top and the larger phillips by the master switch. Box seems loose everywhere but the bottom part of the lid latch. Little square piece of black plastic. Don't want to just "tug". Broken too many plastic bits which always seem very expensive.

Second, the drivers outside mirror goes in and out but the up and down seems to not work. Motors run and if I place my hand against glass and do the switch it does go up and down so I think a screw fell out inside there that holds the glass to the mechanism that goes up and down. When I tilt glass all the way up I see two phillips screws. Took those out. Now black plastic bezel seems loose from chrome outside mirror housing - on the bottom. Not on the top! I can't see any screws up there to undo. See above on just the keep tugging strategy.

Whats the tricks? That am I doing wrong or not doing?

Thanks!!

Mark

trying to attach pics of car but doesn't seem to be working??? wow, just one of those days I guess....

Old 10-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Originally Posted by mbalce
However, I cannot figure out how console box comes out. Took the lid off, took all the little phillips screws in top and the larger phillips by the master switch. Box seems loose everywhere but the bottom part of the lid latch. Little square piece of black plastic. Don't want to just "tug". Broken too many plastic bits which always seem very expensive.

Been a few years but I recall simply prying those latches out. Probably broke a couple....really tight fit. One way or the other some force is required.

Not expensive to replace. In fact the latch can be purchase from appliance dealers for a few dollars.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup!

I busted mine years ago. Never replaced it. it does just fine sans latching. the cubby hole cover is substantial enough not to bounce open and closed.

Were I to decide to have a latch, I'd look at the magnetic cabinet type.

Carl

Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

1) to remove the center console lid latch you need to press it from underneath and push it up at the same time. A 90 degree bend needle nose pliers would help. In the pictures below, you can see the "spring" clip where you need to press both sides at the same time.

2) another method is to pry it upwards carefully using nylon fishing wire or a thin E guitar string wrapped around twice inder the edges of the latch.

3) If you break it, just go to a Maytag Appliance shop and get the Dryer Door latch/catch kit, it's the same part since the 1970's and you can get it in white or black.

Attached Thumbnails New Series III owner - questions taking some things apart-xj-console-catch-01.jpg   New Series III owner - questions taking some things apart-xj-console-catch-02.jpg   New Series III owner - questions taking some things apart-xj-console-catch-03.jpg   New Series III owner - questions taking some things apart-90-degree-bend.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 10-18-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

How much time and energy has been used up worldwide to remove that little freakin clip??

We should band together and fund a hit man to find the designer and at least cause them some pain.

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yarpos
How much time and energy has been used up worldwide to remove that little freakin clip?? We should band together and fund a hit man to find the designer and at least cause them some pain.
the first time is the hardest, once you do it right, it's second nature. The right tool gets the job done with little effort.

you need to remove the console Lid first, then the plastic Tray, then you have access to the underside of the spring clip/latch.

otherwise I think it was General Electric who designed the clothes dryer door parts used in Jaguars. One of many Made in The USA parts used in the Series 3 XJ. (they might be Made in China nowadays).

Old 10-18-2014, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
the first time is the hardest, once you do it right, it's second nature. The right tool gets the job done with little effort.

you need to remove the console Lid first, then the plastic Tray, then you have access to the underside of the spring clip/latch.

otherwise I think it was General Electric who designed the clothes dryer door parts used in Jaguars. One of many Made in The USA parts used in the Series 3 XJ. (they might be Made in China nowadays).
Agree, it would be no problem now, but first time round it took me a lot of careful prying and levering to claim the final victory :-)

Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok, think that makes sense and will try later. Now, how about the mirror? Anyone take one of this apart??

Old 10-19-2014, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member

the mirrors came from a Jeep Wagoneer from the early 1980's. Same mounting and everything. Another USA part fitted to the XJ.

Attached Thumbnails New Series III owner - questions taking some things apart-1985-jeep-grand-wagoneer-mirror.jpg  
Old 10-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Neat on the Wagoneer. Some years ago, I was car shopping. My choices boiled down to two. One a Pristine Wagoneer as pictured. the other a very nice black Ford F150 4x4.
I chose the latter, but, have wondered what if.

Oh, the teeny screws are no Phillips, but Pozi. But, Phillips drivers will work, sorta.
I found a "Security Package" at Harbor Freight. Row upon row of bits for my drivers.
I go there often.

As to the mirrors. My right mirror misbehaved after a door adventure. I could not get it to align for a good view to the right and behind. But, some excercising of the weird little toggles finely got it. Twas the left door that was the target of the adventure. So, nexus, I dunno.

But, the exercise the switch is a good thing to do in a lot of situations.

Carl

Old 10-20-2014, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

yes they are posi drive screws but few have posi drive screwdrivers.

the switch can be fixed too, take it apart and clean corrosion from the wire contacts, reassemble with dielectric grease.

are you talking about an XJ-S or a XJ-6 ??

Last edited by Jose; 10-20-2014 at 07:04 AM.