Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   New toy for my wife (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-toy-my-wife-476/)

08-25-2006 09:26 PM

New toy for my wife

I just recently bought my wife an 85 XJ6 4 door sedan. all I know about it is that it has a 6 cyl and 3spd auto and needs brake work. we set out looking for a mini van and bought this. I plan on having it thuroughly checked out but what should I expect on a 21 y/o Jag with approx 140,000 on it. the body appears to be in decent shape, some rust but anyting a good block sanding and paint can't fix. everything appears to be origional on it.

what are the power numbers (or point me in the direction to find this out on my own)
what are the gear ratios
what type of rear suspension (solid axle, IRS? (I haven't picked it up yet))

it seems to be a little sluggish, what can be done about increasing the power?

what is a good source for interior parts?

what about fuel consumption, what should I expect for mileage?

what about reliability? this will be her daily driver and she hauls around 3 kids in safety seats.

08-27-2006 02:04 AM

RE: New toy for my wife

New toy for your wife? Get real, man -- this is your toy.

I don't know 85 XJ6s much. Mine's an 82. Rear axle 2.98. Around town, you'll be lucky to get 15 mpg -- on the road, maybe 20-22. Rear end is IRS, inboard brakes. Rear pads rarely wear out, but they're easy to change anyway. Front calipers are typical Lockheed -- if you're worked on any British sports car, you'll know about them.

Sluggish, yup. Hell, you're hauling 4000 pounds, plus, around.

140,000 isn't bad mileage, I'd think, for a 21 year old car.

But reliability as a daily hauler? I think you're in trouble. Jag's, especially older Jags, tend to be finicky. Lucas electronics are renowned for letting you down at the wrong time.

JimT

08-27-2006 03:58 AM

RE: New toy for my wife

nope not my toy ........ I was dead set on making the ultimate dad sacrifice and buy a mini-van. I spents weeks researching them on the internet...... found a 2001 chrysler town and country that was black on black with chrome wheels and all the badging was stripped off and it had the much coveted gray leather interior and a new transmission for $6500........ drove 53 miles to the dealership to look at this van.......... should have drove in the back driveway............ I made the turn into the dealership and right there was this white jag with a chrome kitty on the hood......... thats what my wife desided she wanted.......... (she has always wanted a Jag...... what 24 y/o wife of a truck driver drives a jag of any year?).......... $2000 later and a short trip to the foreign car guy north of town here (to be completely checked out and brittish cars are not my thing) we have a Jag thst is getting brake work....... you know I have always wanted a jag too but I have always wanted a corvette killing XKE. as far as a daily driver , she currently drives the Suburban mentioned in my sig, how much truth in the rumor that a GM TH700r4 will bolt in with little trouble or what about convertion to a manual trans?