Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   New XJ6 owner (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/new-xj6-owner-60045/)

Civicalized 08-30-2011 10:11 AM

New XJ6 owner

Hey everyone. I posted in the new members area but figured I'd post here as well. I just bought a 73 XJ6 from a friend who bought it from a friend who's son bought it from a guy... Long story short, it hasnt been running in a while, until yesterday that is. Cleaned the carbs and and flushed the lines and she started right up! It idles fine until you rev it up then it wont go back to idle, but we are going to sync the carbs tonight and hopefully this will fix the problem. A couple questions which may be common knowledge. What type of tranny fluid does it take? I have a Haynes book but it is pretty old, so i don't know. I read somewhere that Type F fluid is the stuff to use. Is this correct? Also, the air pump. Is it worth getting going again or can I just take it off? Doesn't it only serve a purpose with a cold engine? Here in Idaho cars this old don't need to do emissions testing so I am not concerned with this. Any help or input would be great! Thanks!

Doug 08-30-2011 10:26 AM

Welcome aboard :-)

Yes on the Type "F" trans fluid.

Owners of the later XJ6s often remove the air injection pumps with no negative results. I strongly suspect you can do the same but my Ser I background is limited so I'm hesistant say for sure.

Cheers
DD

Civicalized 08-30-2011 10:50 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! I will go ahead and just yank it out. The person usually helping me through a lot of mechanicing used to work on Jags in the 80's and he thinks the air pump can be pulled too. And thanks for the fluid type, I was hoping to get to the store this morning and get some so I can get this thing drive-able this week.

Doug 08-30-2011 10:59 AM

BTW, if you can't find Type "F" you can use Type "FA".

Cheers
DD

Translator 08-31-2011 04:09 AM

I just bought a 73 XJ6 from a friend who bought it from a friend who's son bought it from a guy...

Isn't that a song?

Nice to see someone breathing new life into a S1, best of luck with getting her purring again.

Post up some pictures, please.

Civicalized 08-31-2011 10:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It actually reminded me of the song that goes, "I heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who..." Anyway, got the carbs running together and it is running and idling great! We are going to retard the timing a little and it should be purring like new! I will take some better pictures when it has been washed, but here are a few from my phone. Hopefully hit up the DMV tomorrow and have it legal by the weekend!
Attachment 12635

Attachment 12636

sneal46 08-31-2011 02:49 PM

Nice looking car! Have not seen a green Jag too often. Make sure to get some engine/interior shots. I had a set of those wheels for my 86 for winter. I like the chrome look.

Cadillac 09-01-2011 03:45 AM

Congrats, this looks a fine lookin' ride . This is my fave front end for this era as well