Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   No crank issue in LT1 powered Lump fixed (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/no-crank-issue-lt1-powered-lump-fixed-130654/)

JagCad 11-08-2014 10:50 AM

No crank issue in LT1 powered Lump fixed

Got a good workout yesterday. My car had begun to not crank. a whack on the solenoid did it a time or two. but, not the last time. I'd just returned from errands. Luckily, it failed in my driveway.

Jacked the right front up as high as my big HF trolley jack would take it. Not high enough to slip a ramp under the wheel.

Oh, yeah, trans in park and a hefty chock under the left rear. Not gonna get me again!!

Placed one of my best jack stands under the spring pan and left the trolley in and up!!

Thought I was smart and checked the fasteners on the new starter for size. Down and under. Nope, no fit. A couple of up, out and back unders til I found the right metric sockets for my newish 1/4" rachet. Perfect for the close quarters.

Really loose wire on the solenoid from the relay. Where did the lock washer go? Had to remove the large cable for access. Back out and up.
Looked in my trays and indeed, right lock nuts. got two.

Back down and under. It ain't easy anymore. I've learned to place my short ladder close by for purchase get up.

Snugged it all down again. Out and up. replace + cable on battery. Yowee, cranked right up. Repeated several times. Again, later, still good.

Car is still in the drive on a jack stand. If it cranks again, I'll get under and tidy up.

Messed up. I did the Jaguar mantra topside. Clean lube and tighten. But not down under!!

I'll just keep the new starter til I need it. Old adage, I have it, I will not need it. If I don't....

Tons of tools on the bench to put away!!

Then back to yard chores, including a fence repair. Redwood does rot!!

Carl

icsamerica 11-08-2014 09:41 PM

Good story, poetic.

LnrB 11-08-2014 10:28 PM

Good for you, Carl!!
(';')

JagCad 11-09-2014 08:06 AM

Update:

Thanks. It is a good story. but, not yet ended1

Premature declaration of cured. Back to where I started. No crank. Ugh.

I've not yet acquitted the wiring. I wiggled it some in my tidy up. Lotta wires going down under at the battery. One or more are solenoid/relay related.

One more probe before I yank the starter. That is down and under again. Jump from nearby big cable to the solenoid/relay post. If it cranks, it's likely a wire issue.

Gotta make durn sure it is in Park and well chocked.

If no crank, disconnect and pull starter and hope it clears the down pipe from the center dump ram horn manifold. If not, drop the down pipe.

But, probably not today. 49ers this morning and Raiders this afternoon. Need a break anyway.

And, my Jeep is due back this evening.

Carl

JagCad 11-10-2014 10:37 AM

One more idea. Battery!!!! I put my "Smart charger on it and did a test. 40% charge at a little over 12v. Kinda poor. Ran it most of the day, got it up to 70% charge. Nope, still no crank. Same symptoms. A bit leary of leaving the charger on it over night unattended. And doubtful as to that being the issue.

And whilst watching football, I reviewed my documents. The Jaguar S57 schematics and the Cadillac factory manual. I suspect all is well. But, as I used a generic relay in lieu of the Jaguar can, I need the key to the posts. 85, etc. I have it somewhere in my papers.

Today, mebbe:

1. Jump 12v to the solenoid direct.
2. Run the charger some more.
3. Check the transmission to chassis ground.
4. New relay to solenoid wire.

Carl

moronthethrottle 11-10-2014 12:35 PM

Carl,
The most popular & recommended relay was a Bosch Relay p/n 033-224-150. Since Tyco Electronics bought the Bosch electrical line a few years ago, their part numbers have changed. I've found a couple reasonably priced alternatives:

Parts-Express 330-073

Parts-Express 330-070

I've purchased the first one through this company and found them to be very consumer friendly and in your case, local.

JagCad 11-11-2014 07:38 AM

More:

1. Battery was done a tad. 12.5v and 40% as per Schumacher smart charger. Two sessions at low amps and is now up to 13+ and 100%!! But, no crank.

2. Down and under with jumper wire. Bottom lines:
A: Starter cranks nicely
B: Two big mount bolts may ber loose. I swear the starter was jumping around as it cranked.

3. More for today or so. Back slowed me yesterday. Not sure I could get back up!!
I've a spare rely or two of the genre. I'll test them and try. Also more test/swap of wire in the circuit. Cranky rely??? Couldn't resist the weak pun !!

But, the Jeep is back, so stress is down.
Carl.

JagCad 11-11-2014 07:39 AM

More to come later

JagCad 11-12-2014 10:12 AM

More:

It is off the jack and stands and in the garage!!! Rain on the way! Not that it couldn't stand a day in the rain. Nature's car wash. No leaks!!!

Removed two wires from the small post on the solenoid. Now, I know, 3/8" SAE!!
One Jaguar white/red and a GM purple/black(?)

Made up a new wire. No white in stock. so, I used red with white tape. Applied 12v. Nice crank. One big 9/16" mount bolt a tad loose. Tightened and the starter is firmly affixed to the engine. No more visible jumping around.

Foisted on my own petard!! I can not ID which of the relays I installed is the starter relay. Down to choice of two, I think.

More sleuthing to do, including another dive under!!

Wiring or relay as the fault? Or mebbe the ignition switch itself.

Far out solution: Wire in another relay and use a separate switch in the cabin to start.
Kinda like that. Back to the old days.

Window lock switch out, rocker for start in!

Carl