XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in first gear, New Series III owner with questions, help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noise in first gear, New Series III owner with questions, help!

Hey Forum!
I've always wanted a Series III, and finally was able to find a (nearly, except for two tiny bubbles under rear window) rust free 1987 locally. Its not a Vanden Plas, but does have fully power adjustable front seats and walnut tray tables in the rear, which from what I can tell are fairly rare. It was sold new near here, and has lived here ever since. One very nice older repaint, interior remarkably intact. Hasn't had much driving in the last 12 years, so will definitely need some sorting. I changed out the plugs, and she's running a lot more smoothly. I have a cap, rotor button, wires, and air filter on order.

My concerns at this point are that it has a small oil leak that's burning off on the exhaust somewhere, there's a gasoline smell sometimes in the cabin (I know there are several threads for this), and most concerning is this scratchy whining noise from the front end when rolling in first gear. It almost sounds like a bearing or something, and sounds like its coming more from the passenger front side than anywhere else. It goes away completely when the car shifts into second, and comes right back when downshifting on deceleration. After it comes back into first, I can still hear it a little while the car is at idle. Transmission shifts extremely well. Could this be the torque converter? Should I change the trans filter and fluid? I have a lot of experience puttering around with old European stuff, but I've never experienced this sound. I didn't notice it on the test drive, but have taken it for several interstate trips and think I have awakened a few issues. Please tell me it isn't something huge! I am absolutely smitten with this car!

Regards,
Kyle

The following users liked this post:
Ahabiam (08-26-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Please tell me it isn't something huge! I am absolutely smitten with this car!
I know the feeling, I had mine 14 years !!

1. Small oil leak
This could very well be the rear main oil seal due to lack of use. It may improve if you use the car more. The front oil seal is not near an exhaust, but can also leak. Replacing the rear seal is a major, major job; the crankshaft has to come out for a start, so its an engine & gearbox out job. The front seal is slightly easier, but needs the sump to come off.

Leaks from an XK engine are commonplace, the design is 1930s for the bottom end, even if it has a sophisticated (for 1948) DOHC valves cylinder head.

2. Scratchy whining noise
If you can hear it when the car is stationary and not in gear, then it could be the torque converter, but again this may improve from use. If it doesn't you might need another one fitting. My MG Midget gearbox sounds like a tin with nails inside rattling round in 1st gear, but its been OK now for 8k miles so I'm not too bothered.

It would be beneficial to replace the transmission fluid and filter as soon as you can. It's a Borg Warner BW66 transmission and an easy job, there is even a dipstick for the fluid !!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Fraser! I'll see if I can change out the trans fluid and filter tomorrow. Regarding replacing the torque converter, do you have to drop the transmission to make this happen?

It also looks like the back end of both my valve cover gaskets are leaking. I want to clean up the covers anyway, so I probably should go ahead and replace both those gaskets as well.

The only other thing I'm experiencing is a vibration at/above 60mph-ish that feels like driveline. Is it more common to get vibration from the flex disc being old or the u-joints?

I had a Midget briefly, and it was an absolute blast!

Thanks again for the help!
KW

Old 08-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by coventryfan
Hey Forum!
I've always wanted a Series III,
but does have fully power adjustable front seats and walnut tray tables in the rear, which from what I can tell are fairly rare.

Rare indeed, as none of the Ser IIIs ever had the picnic table seats. I suspect a seat swap in your car's past

My concerns at this point are that it has a small oil leak that's burning off on the exhaust somewhere,

Make sure to clean the breather on general principles. A clogged brether will worsen any leaks. Sometime a clear breather will reduce the leak to a tolerable level

Cheers
DD

Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Forum!
I've always wanted a Series III, and finally was able to find a (nearly, except for two tiny bubbles under rear window) rust free 1987 locally. Its not a Vanden Plas, but does have fully power adjustable front seats and walnut tray tables in the rear, which from what I can tell are fairly rare. It was sold new near here, and has lived here ever since. One very nice older repaint, interior remarkably intact. Hasn't had much driving in the last 12 years, so will definitely need some sorting. I changed out the plugs, and she's running a lot more smoothly. I have a cap, rotor button, wires, and air filter on order.

My concerns at this point are that it has a small oil leak that's burning off on the exhaust somewhere, there's a gasoline smell sometimes in the cabin (I know there are several threads for this), and most concerning is this scratchy whining noise from the front end when rolling in first gear. It almost sounds like a bearing or something, and sounds like its coming more from the passenger front side than anywhere else. It goes away completely when the car shifts into second, and comes right back when downshifting on deceleration. After it comes back into first, I can still hear it a little while the car is at idle. Transmission shifts extremely well. Could this be the torque converter? Should I change the trans filter and fluid? I have a lot of experience puttering around with old European stuff, but I've never experienced this sound. I didn't notice it on the test drive, but have taken it for several interstate trips and think I have awakened a few issues. Please tell me it isn't something huge! I am absolutely smitten with this car!

Regards,
Kyle

I have seen some posts on the flexplate rivit's loosening up on the flywheel. I would think you would hear this all the time, but I have not experienced it myself to be certain.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the reply, Fraser! I'll see if I can change out the trans fluid and filter tomorrow. Regarding replacing the torque converter, do you have to drop the transmission to make this happen?

It also looks like the back end of both my valve cover gaskets are leaking. I want to clean up the covers anyway, so I probably should go ahead and replace both those gaskets as well.

The only other thing I'm experiencing is a vibration at/above 60mph-ish that feels like driveline. Is it more common to get vibration from the flex disc being old or the u-joints?

I had a Midget briefly, and it was an absolute blast!

Thanks again for the help!
KW
Back of the engine - check the banjo fittings for the oil line too.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ahabiam
Back of the engine - check the banjo fittings for the oil line too.
For the driveline vibration - look at the transmission mount for bad bushings or a broken spring. Check the engine mounts to ensure they are tight and attached properly and the power plant has not shifted. And then look at the U-joints. All three of these examples needed work on my SIII.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had oil leak and smoke when I first bought my SIII. I replaced both valve cover gaskets and cleaned up the oil that seeped. That solved my problem. Vibration at the back end was the rear driveshaft ujoint. Cheap and pretty easy fix. It made a clunk when shifting from park to any gear. Also had a whine as it got more worn out. Once replaced the car shifts and drives beautifully.