Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Nothing heavy, just a bit of nonsense.. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/nothing-heavy-just-bit-nonsense-154656/)

jagent 12-13-2015 11:04 PM

Nothing heavy, just a bit of nonsense..

1 Attachment(s)
Evidenced by the many previous threads on the subject, one thing most of us agree upon is our appreciation for the styling cues that make Series XJ's unmistakably Jaguar. Esoteric maybe, but undeniable.

Bonnet leapers are often photographed at close up and interesting angles, then there is the beautiful stainless steel grill, the fluted bonnet and the lines of the rear quarter haunches - all individually beautiful and distinctive.

One signature item often overlooked (I believe) are the very cool fuel filler caps. IMO these are one of the car's most unique and beautifully crafted, art deco like features. I've had several comments about them from admirers and I think that being in a pair provides perfect symmetrical balance to the rear end. Whilst most makers try to hide theirs behind flush fitting plastic flaps, or behind licence plates or tail light clusters, I love that Jaguar decided show 'em off as a design feature for Series XJ's. And how tactile they are, it always feels a bit special unlocking and flipping up those chromed caps!

From a smitten Series XJ admirer!

o1xjr 12-14-2015 12:19 AM

There is nothing like filling the left tank while someone is waiting behind you, then when they think you are finished you walk around to the other side of the car and flip open the second cap!
The look on their face is worth a million bucks.

Or you could just do this.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...e628b98370.jpg

jagent 12-14-2015 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr (Post 1364454)
There is nothing like filling the left tank while someone is waiting behind you, then when they think you are finished you walk around to the other side of the car and flip open the second cap!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...e628b98370.jpg

Love it! gotta try that.

Debbiesidera 12-14-2015 01:26 AM

My surprise

totally agree. they are beautiful!! Our surprise was that at the middle of S2 they change the design. We bought 2 new ones online since ours were a bit rusty. They are not fitting. The early ones are opening with a different angle and the newer ones are thinner. VERY SIMILAR ONES but different. Finally we sent our original ones to rechrome and new locks.

Debbie

yarpos 12-14-2015 03:58 AM

They are really a great example of owning a Jag experience. Beautifully crafted smooth looking exterior with underlying devilment and complexity. A bit like those 2 simple knobs on the climate control :-)

JagCad 12-14-2015 10:15 AM

Excellent execution of the art of design. The engineers dealt the design team with an off tank placement. The artists made the most of it.
As good as it gets.

1. Somewhere in my Jaguar lore, I have a picture of a Jag stopped in the middle of an aisle receiving sustenance fro pumps to it's right and to it's left. Fascinating!!!

2. Clumsy as I become, fueling my Jaguar involves a pirouette!!!
Open both caps. Insert the fueling nozzle in one, await half the amount prepaid. Remove the nozzle, nose up to avoid spillage, spin
toward the other tank. Complete the insertion o my pre paid amount. Not to bad nowadays, Sixty bucks does a lot!!!

Carl

JagCad 12-14-2015 10:20 AM

Edit;

As I've become.

Carl

LnrB 12-14-2015 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jagent (Post 1364440)
Evidenced by the many previous threads on the subject, one thing most of us agree upon is our appreciation for the styling cues that make Series XJ's unmistakably Jaguar. Esoteric maybe, but undeniable.

Bonnet leapers are often photographed at close up and interesting angles, then there is the beautiful stainless steel grill, the fluted bonnet and the lines of the rear quarter haunches - all individually beautiful and distinctive.

One signature item often overlooked (I believe) are the very cool fuel filler caps. IMO these are one of the car's most unique and beautifully crafted, art deco like features. I've had several comments about them from admirers and I think that being in a pair provides perfect symmetrical balance to the rear end. Whilst most makers try to hide theirs behind flush fitting plastic flaps, or behind licence plates or tail light clusters, I love that Jaguar decided show 'em off as a design feature for Series XJ's. And how tactile they are, it always feels a bit special unlocking and flipping up those chromed caps!

From a smitten Series XJ admirer!

I agree, Tony, everyone who sees one of these cars knows Instantly and Instinctively, That is a Jaguar!! The whole appearance would be changed without those Wonderful filler caps and their symmetry.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're my favorite part of the car, but certainly no other car on the road has such pretty ones. They're a bit like the perfect earrings that Make the outfit; that last touch that Just Does It.

And they look Really good against Black!

That only means they get to look at that Beautiful car a little longer. I'm doing them a favor.
(';')

JagCad 12-14-2015 10:51 AM

Earrings!!! Great on gals!! On guys?????

So much history behind the "ornaments"
on classy cars of the past.....

If only, I could find the "Jeep" character of yore....

Carl

LnrB 12-14-2015 11:44 AM

Um, Carl, I don't usually make comments on Guy Fashions, and maybe given the universal character of this site, I should have been more specific, but I wasn't referring to the large, flashy studs currently worn by young men of certain social groups.

I meant dangly girl earrings worn to enhance an outfit of clothing, which earrings I wear all the time (especially when I'm working), just so observers don't get the idea that I might be confused about which half of the species I belong to. Besides that, I rather like them.
(';')

jagent 12-14-2015 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Debbiesidera (Post 1364474)
...The early ones are opening with a different angle and the newer ones are thinner. VERY SIMILAR ONES but different. Finally we sent our original ones to rechrome and new locks.

Debbie

Interesting Debbie, I didn't know they were changed during the S2 era. Worth being aware of should a replacement be required.

When I got my car it had no key for the cap locks, so I had a locksmith reconfigure the barrel tumblers to match the door key. Not sure why Jaguar didn't set it up that way in manufacture instead of creating a dedicated key for the filler caps - another bit of Jag eccentricity I guess!

jagent 12-14-2015 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1364684)
....I wouldn't go so far as to say they're my favorite part of the car, but certainly no other car on the road has such pretty ones.
(';')

Elinor, maybe you've hit on another fun topic there...."what is the car's most defining feature?"

To start the ball rolling....

Maybe it is the collective that creates the appeal i.e. even ignoring the evolutionary detail differences between S1/2/3, if one key design feature were to be eliminated, would the car still have the same appeal?
That in mind, the most obvious of several design features that changed on the XJ40, was the bonnet. Flutes replaced by a flat pan of steel and single rectangular headlights. Jaguar lovers were polarised but it was an unpopular move overall. So the fluted bonnet and twin round headlights reminiscent of the Series XJ, came back on the X300. And we all breathed a sigh of relief (no offence intended to XJ40 fans!). So maybe the fluted bonnet is arguably the most defining feature of Series XJ's???

amaezing 12-14-2015 07:38 PM

The appeal? IT"S A JAG! The entire Jag aspect, the status quo.
Just today, I had to go to a few job sites and I got a kick when one of the guys asked if I could give them a ride(3 of them). I looked at them and they'r dirty clothes and replied with "NOT A CHANCE IN HELL". It felt good for some wacked out reason. I love showing it off but they were dirty. LOL

LnrB 12-14-2015 08:38 PM

You make a good point, Tony, that fluted hood is quite an attention getter, but for me it's only part of the package.

I've thought about this for a while, and exactly what it is about the Xj6 series cars that is so recognizable and what I like so much. I think it's the whole profile; long, fluted hood/bonnet yes, but also that sloping, inward curve of the rear. Some examples of what I mean (except for the inward curve but you know about that):

First, a 1969 Xj6, Series l.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5e00b79333.jpg

1976 Xj6, Series ll, Nix. (You didn't think I'd pass up a photo-op, did you?)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...2c1c53ffd2.jpg

You all know what your Series llls look like, since you can't take your eyes off them either, so I won't put one in this line-up.

Xj40; very similar but just enough different to miss the mark (in my personal opinion).
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...3dd96f8f38.jpg

X300; quite a lot different.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5b0a38e9da.jpg
Still definitely Jaguar but now moving away from the Classic profile that makes everyone instantly recognize, That's a Jaguar!
(';')

jagent 12-14-2015 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by amaezing (Post 1364988)
The appeal? IT"S A JAG! The entire Jag aspect, the status quo.....

I began by saying "maybe it's the collective that creates the appeal" (i.e. the design features assembled collectively, the whole package). Seems you agree!

jagent 12-14-2015 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1365015)
You make a good point, Tony, that fluted hood is quite an attention getter, but for me it's only part of the package.

I've thought about this for a while, and exactly what it is about the Xj6 series cars that is so recognizable and what I like so much. I think it's the whole profile; long, fluted hood/bonnet yes, but also that sloping, inward curve of the rear. Some examples of what I mean (except for the inward curve but you know about that):

Elinor, I think the only conclusion to draw is that the whole XJ package creates the appeal, despite minor detail variations over the years. The stance has never changed (long, wide and low). Certainly the profile view provides the strongest resemblance between all models, including XJ40, and that's all the way from 1968 Series 1, to 2009 X358. It's only when viewed squarely from the front that XJ40 is the exception, being the only one sans fluted bonnet.

Daf11e 12-14-2015 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also the front lines on the series are just stunning.

o1xjr 12-14-2015 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Daf11e (Post 1365071)
Also the front lines on the series are just stunning.

I reckon this is the best view of a series 1 with the taller grill/lower bumper and the top of the front gaurds and bonnet are just plain sexy.
I like all the series models, but the series 1 is the favourite. That is why I specifically went shopping for one.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...9eaa95a30c.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...a7ae894086.jpg

jagent 12-14-2015 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by o1xjr (Post 1365081)
I reckon this is the best view of a series 1 with the taller grill/lower bumper and the top of the front gaurds and bonnet are just plain sexy.
I like all the series models, but the series 1 is the favourite. That is I specifically went shopping for one.

I like the chrome bumpers on the S1 & S2. I like everything about my S3, but would willingly trade the rubber bumpers for chrome if it were possible! Although not as bad, they always remind me of the awful dodgem bumpers that ruined the MGB in the 70's, reluctantly fitted to meet new collision regs. At least the Jag is big enough to carry them without looking ridiculous.

plums 12-15-2015 12:16 AM

And then the attendant hates you because they have to add the
two readings together.